No announcement yet.

First earlies in yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the rogues are clever enough to only start growing when the weather is right - unlike us daft humans, who can only guess when the conditions are suitable.

Comment

Mine are chitting in a cold conservatory but might pot them up and stick them down into the cold greenhouse....1 potato per 13cm ? ...then plant them out when it gets warmer
      Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
        In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

I plant mine towards the end of March, in bags in the garage, and leave them in there until the leaves break through the compost, by which time its usually mid-April. Even then once they go outside the weather needs watching and I cover the plants and bags with bubble wrap if frost is forecast.

With regard to the rogues, they probably don't grow as fast as potatoes that have been chitted or kept in warmer conditions, so they probably arrive above ground later.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'll be planting some up in the polytunnel at the start of March but the outdoor ones will be mid April at the earliest.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

With regards to rouges, it just goes to show that you don't need to harvest all of your tatties at the same time. They are obviously harder than we may give credit.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

The rogues haven't been chitting on a nice sunny windowsill, so will be later to start growing. You probably won't see them poking through until April.

I'll be getting my earlies in mid-March if the weather is suitable. Last year was a month later but then it was exceptionally cold.

I did put four tubers in last weekend but even with mollycoddling and max protection I give myself only a 5% chance of getting anything useful from them.
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I put 15 lady Chrystl in the tunnel in January. Nothing coming through yet. Bit of an experiment but being so mild I'm hoping it might pay off this year.

Comment

Just remembered that I put 4 "mystery" spuds and 4 hairy Anyas in 2 spud bags in the GH, 26th January, The mystery ones are waving their little leaves at me.

Comment

My rogues from the polytunnel last year are looking extremely happy at the moment! I feel really mean even contemplating pulling them up... I'm planting next year's rogues over the next few days in there, but every time I've tried planting in March outside they've been got by frosts and haven't recovered - last year I lost half my crop to frosts outside, even under straw or in bins with lids on - so I'm definitely waiting until the very end of March or early April this year!
                      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Yes I will be waiting a month before I plant mine too.I don't want too much foliage up until less risk of frosts.I had a flourishing 'rogue' in the compost heap last year and dug up quite a few potatoes with the compost.(ones amongst the beans were more troublesome so they had to go) Does anybody know where the name 'Volunteer ' potatoes comes from to describe them?
                        Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

Originally posted by Ja9 View Post
                          Does anybody know where the name 'Volunteer ' potatoes comes from to describe them?
                          Garden organic have an article about them :-
                          Volunteer Potato - Weed information - Organic Weed Management
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Put mine in yesterday in the greenhouse (beginner first try !) fingers crossed a little warmer here than the UK mainland but I am ready with bubble wrap etc etc

Comment

Usually plant my potato's on St Patrick's day, 17th march as I read/heard it was a traditional time Irish farmers planted theirs. But then it depends on the weather!!!!!

Comment

If there are spuds left in the ground,those near the surface may well be damaged if there is a hard frost. VC said towards the start of this thread that she thought it was the foliage that will be damaged. That is a definite. Part of the reasoning behind earthing up the spuds during their early growth is to protect them from frost. Anyone thinking of planting spuds just now needs to have a reality check and sit on their hands.

I don't plant mine till 20th April at the earliest but then we are at least 4 weeks behind the Midlands in terms of the growing season.

Be patient. Now go put thekettle on and read a few seed catalogues

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X