Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howay then. Whats everyone sowing over the christmas period?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, there's a thought - sweet peppers and leeks. Might have to get the propagator out
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I may sow some onions, leeks, shallots and chillies...maybe the odd tomato..

I'm guessing the chillies and toms will need the warmth of the airing cupboard...

The onions/leeks/shallots, in the kitchen...unheated conservatory...or unheated greenhouse!?
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
        The onions/leeks/shallots, in the kitchen...unheated conservatory...or unheated greenhouse!?
        For a masterclass on onion growing from seed please see .. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eed_69067.html
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I might hang on until the New Year and then sow some chillies. In the meantime I fancy buying a heated propagator, but is it worth it? I have windowsills facing east and west plus an unheated greenhouse.
          Last edited by elleme; 19-12-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Looking at all the posts, I have now itchy seed sowing fingers. So now I will have to decide what I might sow!! Looks like everything thats been mentioned! Off we go!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Not sure what I will be sowing but I know my wife will be sewing a gusset into my trousers to encompass the Christmas lunch.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Hi I sowed onions and spring onions recently. They all germinated looked good and then fell over and died. help....what should I have done differently, thought to be honest I didn't do much.
                Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Have a look at the link here Stella ....... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eed_69067.html
                  Last edited by bearded bloke; 23-12-2013, 04:35 PM.
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Hummmm.... thanks pretty much what I did but they still died
                    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Dampening off perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Chillies for me too. I'm thinking of giving onions a miss this year, they never seem to do to well for me
                        When do you sow chillis thanks
                        Anthonyjb

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyjb View Post
                          When do you sow chillis thanks
                          Anthonyjb
                          You can start anytime in the New Year Anthony, once you have some heat in which to germinate them...
                          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

I just sowed some basil seeds in a pot on the kitchen windowsill. That'll be it now until the new year
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by elleme View Post
                              I might hang on until the New Year and then sow some chillies. In the meantime I fancy buying a heated propagator, but is it worth it? I have windowsills facing east and west plus an unheated greenhouse.
                              Is it worth it? Depends what you use it for.

I use mine to start off seeds between Jan and Apr. Chillies, aubs, toms......then later squash and cucs. You could put it on one of your windowsill, but most things will need indoor space up to May which can be a bigger problem, and quite often you can manage starting most things in march......go by what the packet says.
                              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                              William M. Davies

Comment

I think I may have broken a personal record. On Boxing Day I soaked some chilli seeds from some dried ghost (or something of the like) chillies (that my brother gave me with instructions to grow him some chillies) overnight. I then put them on some damp kitchen roll, inside a plastic tub(ex glace cherries) and stuck them on the radiator. Three have germinated already I was expecting them to take weeks. Hopefully they'll keep going and not just stop like some did last year...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X