No announcement yet.

Tomatoes R.I.P.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ones with bottom end rot won't recover but if you take those fruits off, others should be fine. It's worth noting that some varieties are more susceptible to blossom end rot and so it's worth playing around to find what works best for you.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Regards to the sprinkler that's only used outdoors to water the lawn, flower beds, beans etc etc everything else is hand watered.

Greenhouse atm is only 8 x 6 but we are thinking about keeping the 8x6 with a small poly tunnel or just replacing the greenhouse with a bigger one to cover the width of garden down the end not sure yet.

Comment

You don't actually need to water much outside to be honest, certainly not the lawn, they'll recover after months of low rainrall. I only water other outdoor stuff if it's in pots unless there really has been no rain for a couple of weeks as I prefer my plants to be hardy and able to take care of themselves. Water very well when planted out / sown and then leave them to their own devices. That said, if they're used to the sprinkler then you need to keep it up as they'll have shallow roots which need that addition. None of this though as any relevance to your original query though but at least you now know all is not lost and you should get a crop

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The lawn does need watering, the roots do not go deep at all due to very SOLID ground and with these heat and sun it starts going funny and i like is a nice deep green. We have a lot of plants in pots outside which we water your correct, i think i have like 20 odd cayenne chilli plants in pots outside, many flowers bought cheap because was labelled dead and now they came back and even flowering .

Think we got about 30 odd french/runner bean plants in pots outside as well. Our soil is SOLID clay i tried digging it over in winter but it was having none of it so its going to take much time, many rotting material, sharp sand etc to get it to a decent growing soil which doesn't stick and clog.

Plan is to half the garden via trellis, trellis arch, gate and the house side will have a nice workshop, 2 flower beds, lush striped lawn with climbing roses/clematis etc growing up the trellis this side.
          Then the other side will be greenhouses, raised beds possibly poly tunnel this way we can have a nice sized growing area without the dogs peeing on everything .

Maybe even a hive or 2 if i can get away with it but who knows depends on the neighbours .
          Last edited by insy; 28-07-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I garden on clay, in fact the village had a clay pit which supplied the bricks for the London sewers as it is so dense. Lawns don't need water they will recover. Top dressing in the Autumn will help in subsequent summers. Are you on a water meter?
            Last edited by WendyC; 28-07-2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Nope no water meter here.

Comment

I shade my greenhouse with an old and very large bamboo blind I got off freecycle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X