No announcement yet.

Cucamelon/ Melothrie/ Mexican Mouse melon/ Sour gherkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look in the HSL catalogue, the photo of the achocha is one of mine So they do exist!

Comment

How exciting !! -As if I doubted their existence Really need to be able to touch and taste one though

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Hi Sarico I'm growing some of your Caroselli too I sowed a couple of seeds of each variety - a few failed - but I have several plants in flower and growing well. Most of them are in the greenhouse but I have some outdoors too. Can't wait to try a fruit Thank you and your Italian Friends again for their kindness.
        I had the same problem with few of them that failed but I noticed that were the early sowing one and an overwatering problem as well. Now I water them every 2 days considered that ate draught resistant. According some of them you can grow up to 5 lb per plant in container and 8-10. Lb on soil. I hope I
        Can get 1 lb for my first year lol

Comment

Are anyones cucamelons ready for picking? I have about 7 fruits but not sure how to tell if they are ready?

Comment

No fruit at all yet S.p. Try one and let us know

Comment

Hi everyone, my cucamelons were definitely slow starters but a have a few tiny fruit which I'm looking forward to trying.

I quite often read Claire's Allotment blog and she's done cucamelons this year too. She has a YouTube channel and did a few videos for cucamelons. Here's the link to her first harvest. http://clairesallotment.wordpress.co...ment-part-218/
              Now I can't wait for mine.

Comment

Hi,

I mananged to get two plants going from seed (James Wong) and they grew like crazy in the greenhouse - i've harvested about 6 grape-sized fruits but was really disappointed with the taste as it was like a really watery, mild cucumber! Might just be mine, and everyone else's will taste fab!

I don't think i'll be wasting the time/space on them next year - would rather have a mini cucumber with more taste!

Comment

I just popped to see mine in the PT, and I'm clearly guilty of not ventilating enough. Two tiny fruit had gone black on the tips and dropped off as soon as I touched them. Darn it! Must ventilate better for the rest if their season.

Comment

I am really pleased with my cucamelons, I have harvested 8 so far. I've never managed to do cucumbers outside before so I am pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Hi
                      I have 2 on the go from Realseeds, one in GH and one outside in a pot. GH mouse melon is romping all over withlots of fruit. Pot plant is also doing well. Both have lots of fruit. Tasted a couple but not very impressed. Skin quite tough and a bit taseless. I think they need picking no bigger than grape size. Was thinking of pickling them so if anyone has a recipe please share!

Comment

I've found one !!! To eat, or not to eat, that is the question
                        Attached Files

Comment

I braved it and picked the biggest! Tastes very much as a cucumber but fresher & crisper. Quite tough skinned but not sure if thats premature picking.... Will leave the others a litte longer & see

VeggieChicken - they get a lot plumper than the one in your picture. I would leave it a while yet
                          Last edited by s.penny91; 15-08-2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Too late - I've eaten it As you say, tastes just like a mini-mini-cucumber. They'd need to be very prolific to equal one mini-cuke.
                            So far, its just novelty value............

Comment

My plan is to pickle mine, hopefully i find a recipe before they turn bad! Its my first attempt at growing something so very pleased so far. I did have a go at Pineberries from the James Wong collection but no results from any seeds! Followed one of the 'Claires Allotment' video but no joy

Comment

Realseeds say they pickle them like gherkins - or use in stirfrys Vegetable Seed : Cucumbers, gherkins and a few other oddities
                                Youv'e done well growing them s.p. I bought some pineberry plants this year but have yet to taste one Lots of runners though so I may be overrun with them soon
                                And by coincidence Propagating Pineberries & Strawberry Runners
                                Last edited by veggiechicken; 15-08-2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X