• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lagging behind in chilly Shropshire only Home Guard new potatoes here
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Picked my first radish and lollo rosso lettuce on Saturday, along with my first ever calabresi !!

I picked my first rhubarb about nine weeks ago, just in time to make a rhubarb and ginger crumble for a St George's party at the end of April.

I think I will have a go at my first spuds on Saturday too.

Andy
      http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

My first proper harvest of the year. Potatoes, beetroot, carrots, onions and strawberries.

Attached Files
        An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Spuds don't make me envious 'cos I've already had some of my own You'll have to do better than that!
          And I've done Hazel's broadbean pods and lettuce (another Drunken Woman of course!!)
          BUT jayjaybee's courgette and broccoli are turning me green

Funny though, VC the seed pkt for the broc said it was 'autumn' so I wasn't expecting it so soon, will be trying this variety again next year.
          Jen

Comment

Well I had my first wombok not long ago and lots of bok choi. A red cabbage yesterday. The last carrot.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

courgette yesterday
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

first ever round courgette (tondo), globe artichoke (now I need to work out how to cook it) and gooseberries. First peas eaten directly out of the pod but almost at the last of the broadbean crop.....

Comment

First ever cherry from a new (ish) tree. Napoleon de Bigarreau. Lush. Three more to come!
                  Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've had calabrese, peas, broad beans and tons of sweet peas from the tunnel over the last month, but outside is a bit more slow. I've got 2 courgettes ready to harvest, had a bowl of ripe strawberries, and a handful of peas. All the other soft fruit is beginning to ripen but it'll be a little while yet.

Comment

First Mizuna, lettuce, spinach, rocket and radishes = mid April
                      First cabbage, potatoes, courgettes & strawberries (made 5lbs jam) = beginning June
                      First cucumber = about 5 minutes ago

beetroot bolted as did the chard, probably too late to sow more now so a sad shortage of beetroot & chilli relish this year.............unless I buy beetroot(wash my mouth out!)

Comment

Ooh! I forgot! I had my first carrot on Tuesday! A little purple one, about the thickness of my thumb I'm leaving the rest to get bigger though

Comment

Cauliflower - ever, after 5 years of trying.

Comment

Strawberry from the allotment. Five were ripe, but one had a slug in it. There's about forty more that will hopefully be ripe in the next week.
                            http://batteriesarentincluded.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Shona, globe artichokes are lovely - shake and put in cold water for earwigs to hopefully come put and then we boil - anything up to 40 mins depending on size of it.

The other half makes yummy hollandaise to go with and then simply pull each 'leaf' off eating bout finger nails worth on each one. Scape choke out and devour yummy heart. Ours really really late I year, so very jealous! Dare I say I think better than asparagus, tho other half doesn't agree.

Comment

Had 3 cucumbers in last few days that guiltily gave two mini ones to guinea pigs. But that was plan to be able to not spend any money on cucumbers at 79p a pop from supermarket. Noticed first rond courgette will be ready in day or two.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X