No announcement yet.

Purple sprouting broc

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My summer PSB heads are also ready to cut now, even though the plants themselves still look quite wee.

Does anyone know roughly how long summer PSB (mine is sante F1) sprouts for after the heads are taken off? I'm wondering should I be planning to use the bed for something else after they're finished.

Comment

Hi, I am growing a variety called Phoenix, will they grow similar size to green Calabrese?

Comment

Just noticed a central head on mine but no side shoots. Do I need to cut it off to spring the side shoots into action?
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by Wedwards View Post
          Hi, I am growing a variety called Phoenix, will they grow similar size to green Calabrese?
          According to this Broccoli Phoenix (Gro-Sure) | Seeds by Post Phoenix is a sprouting broccoli for harvesting in Spring. Sprouting broccoli produces lots of smallish shoots - even the central head is not as big as a Calabrese.

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
            Just noticed a central head on mine but no side shoots. Do I need to cut it off to spring the side shoots into action?
            Cut the central head when it looks ready to eat Stella. Sideshoots should follow.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              According to this Broccoli Phoenix (Gro-Sure) | Seeds by Post Phoenix is a sprouting broccoli for harvesting in Spring. Sprouting broccoli produces lots of smallish shoots - even the central head is not as big as a Calabrese.
              Thanks, can't understand why mine is producing now then?

Comment

Originally posted by Wedwards View Post
                Thanks, can't understand why mine is producing now then?
                When did you sow them?

Comment

When did you sow them?
                  I think it was march?

Comment

In that case it sounds as if they are bolting because they're stressed. Sorry to keep asking questions, but how tall are the plants, where are they planted, how far apart.

Also, whereabouts are you? If you add your location to your profile it will show up on your posts.

Comment

Cut the central head when it looks ready to eat Stella. Sideshoots should follow.
                      Many thanks, guess what we are going to have for dinner tomorrow
                      Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

In that case it sounds as if they are bolting because they're stressed. Sorry to keep asking questions, but how tall are the plants, where are they planted, how far apart.

Also, whereabouts are you? If you add your location to your profile it will show up on your posts.
                        I am in Nottingham, it does not se to let me change my profile, only my email address and password? The plants are about a foot high and about 70 cm apart, the plants look really healthy. They are in a bed at the allotment.

Comment

Could be the crazy weather we've been having. Harvest the heads when ready and hope the plants will grow some more. By the way, I see you've managed to add your location - thanks.

Comment

Could be the crazy weather we've been having. Harvest the heads when ready and hope the plants will grow some more. By the way, I see you've managed to add your location - thanks.
                            Thanks for the advice. Yes I went online instead of trying to do it on my phone app.

Comment

I pick my psb heads when they're quite small - they start to flower quite quickly after they form (although still tasty even with a few flowers on!). We had hundreds of side shoots last year - you seem to get one at very leaf node, which can be loads on a biggish plant. My summer purple just started a week or two back, but is a much smaller plant than the spring varieties I grew last time. And as for my calabrese... well it's hard to tell it from the psb, the heads are so small! Lol . I blame the weather as RL suggests - after all, it can't possibly be anything I've done wrong
                              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X