Is this damping off?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
    When I plant mine, instead of using collars, I mound the soil up around the stem. Not only does it keep them firm, but I find no root fly gets in. I also drop an inch of rhubarb stem and a dusting of lime in my planting hole, which helps ward off clubroot. My brassicas used to be quite poor until I did all of this. I give quite a lot of water, but always fresh tap water. As they are a leaf, like any other, I find they drink a tremendous amount.
    [ATTACH]36648[/ATTACH]
    I planted out 26 seedlings.
    The first 8 I planted the pot about level with the soil, then realised they needed earthing up for support. So the next 18 got planted a little deeper, no earthing up. Those first 8 are the healthiest looking and the biggest so hopefully they are ok.

I had a rummage around the base of a few of the others, first 4 all had root fly, the next couple didn't and I stopped looking because I was doing more harm than good.
    I have removed the 3 very bad ones, but not the other infected ones yet, I guess itwould be a good idea to get rid of them straight away?

I have replaced all the collars and done a better job of them!

Before

After
    Attached Files

Comment

That collar certainly looks better now.

I use collars too but put them on the plant when I move them to 3 or 4 inch pots. That way the plant stem gets chance to grow and fill any gaps before planting out.

As to those peat pot type things I only used them for one season..............never again.

Potty
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post

I use collars too but put them on the plant when I move them to 3 or 4 inch pots. That way the plant stem gets chance to grow and fill any gaps before planting out.

As to those peat pot type things I only used them for one season..............never again.

Potty
        I find any pot that collapses to be a useless pot. Learned my lesson and never again too
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

One of the guys at the allotment has a novel idea. Instead of putting collars around his plants he wraps the stem with silver paper. Root flies lay there eggs close to the plant and the grubs attack the plant stem where it joins the root. The silver paper seems to create a protective barrier to ths part of the plant.

Can't vouch for the idea but it sems to work for him!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post

Potty
            Collar pics are typical Before / After.
            Different plants and worst "before" photo possible, a la weight loss

Anyway, I was a bit complacent with the collars, just thought "that'll do", because I never had problems last year (which was my first year).
            My new collars are circular, have a slit cut exactly to the middle with a small V cut at the centre and they fit beautifully, keeping the little maggots nice and warm no doubt

Comment

I found collars to be a bit fiddly and have a bigger problem anyway with cabbage whites so now mesh all my brassicas with enviromesh from day one and avoid the cabbage whites, root flies and pigeon damage all in one go . Like others I don't water apart from when I plant out but that is always with water butt water as I don't have any other water at the lottie anyway.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X