Raised bed destroyed :-(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davemac82 View Post
    I built a raised lasagna garden ...and I sewed our first veg seedlings.
    Did you sow seeds? Or did you plant seedlings? *confused dot com*

...why would I have to grow indoors first?
    Precisely for the reasons you started your thread: seedlings (young plants) are much easier to look after than seeds are.
    "indoors" (greenhouse or cold frame) you can control water, pests & weather. Outdoors, you can't.

I start nearly everything in small pots, then plant them in their beds when they're a month or so old
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. It's now sorted and I have installed netting over the raised bed 2 feet above soil level. Two-sheds, I am very new to all of this and I have never sewed sowed sewn or planted anything in my life :-), I sowed seeds, not planted seedlings. I would plant indoors but I don't have anywhere to put them :-( ill do a bit more research before I plant anything else.

Comment

Airing cupboards are great for starting seeds off and window sills for growing your little seedlings on! Your children will be able to keep a close eye on their progress there

Comment

I would plant indoors but I don't have anywhere to put them :-( ill do a bit more research before I plant anything else.
          Don't you have any windowsills Dave? Mine were choc-a-block earlier in the year

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            Don't you have any windowsills Dave? Mine were choc-a-block earlier in the year
            Ha! Yes I do have windowsills lol. I will get the kids to make up some pots, how small can they be? And is it one seed per pot?

Comment

You can start off with very small pots for things like your lettuce, deeper ones for peas. I sow mine 1 per pot so that i don't have to prick each seedling out and pot up on its own. I use trays shown in photo, you could use yoghurt pots although I'm sure if you ask around you'll find someone with a few spare plastic pots or trays
              Attached Files

Comment

Ha! Yes I do have windowsills lol. I will get the kids to make up some pots, how small can they be? And is it one seed per pot?
                How old are your kids Dave?

Size of pots depends on the size of the seeds really. Celltrays are good for things like lettuce and spring onions and can be bought really cheaply from places like Wilkinsons.

Pumpkins and courgettes need bigger pots (one seed per pot) I use 7cm square plastic pots (again from Wilkinsons).

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  How old are your kids Dave?

Size of pots depends on the size of the seeds really. Celltrays are good for things like lettuce and spring onions and can be bought really cheaply from places like Wilkinsons.

Pumpkins and courgettes need bigger pots (one seed per pot) I use 7cm square plastic pots (again from Wilkinsons).
                  My 2 girls are 6 & 8, we live just outside glasgow in Scotland so the weather is not great here. I think ill try the pots first as its been quite frosty the last couple of mornings. They love gardening with their grandad so I built them a raised bed out back, it's probably a bit too big though its 2.3 metres square so I divided it into 4 seperate beds. Ill try and get some pics uploaded soon

Comment

we live just outside glasgow
                    If you edit your profile, your location will show up in all your posts. It's a vital bit of gardening info, your location.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've only got a small home Dave and I bought a couple of shower caddies you know the metal ones with the sticky pads on the back...you can just stick them to the window and fill up with little pots of seeds or you could get one of those cheap greenhouses for about £20 from B&M, Wilkos types places

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X