No announcement yet.

Too cold still?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think after the full moon on the 25th May we should fair a little better with the night time temps. My greenhouse got down to 4.8°c last night. The polytunnel was 8.2°c last night. Outside temp got down to 4°c. Nothing is frost damaged. Peppers in the poly are uncovered as are the tomatoes and two out of three are flowering. Oca stayed in the greenhouse last night too.
    I am planning that after 25th I will start to harden off for planting out beginning June.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My understanding is that even if it's not frost damaged those very cold temps can seriously stall growth. That's why I brought it all in last night.
      Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

A nice 23 degrees n the polytunnel today, Much better than the 6 yesterday.....lol
        Getting leg ache moving everything in and out every night.
        Last edited by Yorkshire.Dave; 16-05-2013, 10:51 AM.
        -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
        Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

I've just ordered more pea seeds online as my last lot all rotted in the ground even when covered with fleece, im going to try a different variety this time.

My broad beans are outside with the last month or two and okayish, not growing at any mighty rate but not dead either, I was thinking of giving them a boost with a seaweed feed not sure would that be a good idea or not?

Carrotts are doing quite well, as are squashes, tomatoes and cukes, but they are all in the greenhouse

Comment

Mine aren't fleeced, direct sown and are 8" high plants.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              Mine aren't fleeced, direct sown and are 8" high plants.
              your peas?

Comment

Yes my peas - sorry, forgot to elaborate
                Carrots, direct sown are not up yet. I've got peas, Broadies, onions, shallots, spuds, leek seedlings, beetroot, lettuce, brassicas, spinach, celery all out and uncovered.

Comment

I direct sowed my peas and they have been hanging about at the 4-5in stage for quite a while, hoping for a growth spurt if we get nice weather.
                  Does anyone know what kind of night time temps would be ok for putting dwarf beans out?? I know they are quite tender and mine are currently in the coldframe (open during the day). Temps are getting down to 7C minimum here...

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
                    Oh goody!

Polytunnel toms are only now coming back to life after their last frosting!! Might be starting anew with cuke and gherkin at the weekend then.

Good thing about a poly is it warms up quickly if it's bright early in the morning, so the frost doesn't get much of a chance at this time of year now as it's only dark for 8 hours or so.

Bit of an update. Hopefully those of you who had frosted toms will have left them in your green house/polytunnel. I decided to pull some up and replace with bought plug plants, and to leave others in the ground but trim off the frosted leaves. The latter are now almost as healthy as the bought plants, so it will be interesting to see if they produce as much fruit.
                    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Well, I planted out one black cherry tomato in the polytunnel and one courgette outside at the time I started this thread. I put some fleece round the tomato plant but not over the top but did fleece over it (and the courgette) on very cold nights. I now have 4 courgettes out and 8 tomatoes in the poly and all are doing well.

Runner beans, French beans and sweetcorn are all waiting in the polytunnel to go out although I'm not sure how I'm going to harden them off if they are down the lottie. Might leave them outside in a sheltered spot with fleece over for a few days, then take fleece off for another couple of days before putting them in final positions.
                      Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X