No announcement yet.

hows everyones chilli plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have had one lemon drop germinate already.

Comment

• I'm going to order some Lemon Drop seeds for next year too!

My Greenhouse chilli plants have seen better days and have suffered a bit from Aphids but all but the Cayenne have survived and fruited very well.

The Bishop's Crown and Facing Heaven have been the most prolific (both overwintered). The Gusto Purple was a bit slow to start but has just had a second wind and produced a load more fruit and flowers. The overwintered Jalapeno and Red Cherry haven't done so well, they just aren't as prolific as the others.

I'll probably still try and overwinter them again as I hope to have a blow away poly tunnel on the plot next year and I'll be dedicating one side (5m) to chilli plants which is nearly double the space I've dedicated to them this year so I'll fill the rest of the space up with new varieties!

The Bishop's Crown has reached the apex of the GH... with some help from some string... otherwise the branches just sag under the weight of the fruit and they take up half the GH floor!

Attached Files
      Last edited by vikkib; 15-09-2013, 06:02 AM.
      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

• Just about to make some chilli jam!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Just about to make some chilli jam![ATTACH]39796[/ATTACH]
          Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

What's that chilli plant in the background, Scarlet? Looks lovely!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Just about to make some chilli jam![ATTACH]39796[/ATTACH]
            those really look good,mine are all green now (OH used all the red ones)so we are hoping for a few days warmth soon,above 10-12deg please.,over 20 plants still to crop but they will possibly end up as good as yours..i never was good at patience,i tell them to colour up, but they are still not listening,especially,given, as i am the boss in my house and my wife said i could say so......

Comment

• looks like a super chilli F1 to me???????? I want to know too!!!!!

Comment

• A friend of mine gave me a golden cherry chilli plant yesterday that I'm going to try and overwinter... it's such a cute little thing!

Sorry for the wobbly pic!

Attached Files

Comment

• How late do you leave it before cutting them back for overwintering them?

Comment

• Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
                    looks like a super chilli F1 to me???????? I want to know too!!!!!
                    Hmm- sorry folks, I don't know!!! Two Sheds sent me a mixed bag of chilli seeds last year. This was one of them. Reasonably hot.
                    Buffs, this one had a head start on yours, it's an over wintered plant. It didn't do so good last year.
                    Joe, I didn't cut back my chilli plants over the winter. I just kept them indoors with plenty of window light. To be honest, I nearly composted some of them as the looked like dead twigs, but I persevered and they have all cropped well.

Comment

• OK am i doing it wrong?

You all seem to have them in fairly small pots. Am i giving mine too much space?

I have mine in tomato bags from Wilko's 16 - 18" diameter and even taller than that.

Is too much space working against me?

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDaStudd View Post
                        How late do you leave it before cutting them back for overwintering them?
                        I did cut mine back last year and I will again this year mainly because I've had problems with aphids and the like and I wonder if removing the leaves meant the majority of them didn't make it indoors to breed like crazy in the warm!

I think I did mine in Oct/Nov but can't be sure... I'll check on a previous post when I get a min.

But as Scarlet says I don't think you necessarily have to cut them back.

Originally posted by Lazy Gardener View Post
                        OK am i doing it wrong?

You all seem to have them in fairly small pots. Am i giving mine too much space?

I have mine in tomato bags from Wilko's 16 - 18" diameter and even taller than that.

Is too much space working against me?
                        Most of mine are in the GH border, LG.

What problems are you having?

Got any pics?

Comment

• Originally posted by vikkib View Post
                          I did cut mine back last year and I will again this year mainly because I've had problems with aphids and the like and I wonder if removing the leaves meant the majority of them didn't make it indoors to breed like crazy in the warm!

I think I did mine in Oct/Nov but can't be sure... I'll check on a previous post when I get a min.
                          Mine were fruiting at that time last year, some carried on over Christmas. Although I did cut some branches back in very early spring on " bits" that didn't look to good!

I have grown them in the borders but I like to bring them indoors when the weather turns so I've just used pots this year. The smallest pots I use (one in my pic) is a flower bucket.

Comment

• I dig mine up from the GH border and and stick them in 8" pots to overwinter them.

I'm not going to be as brutal with the cutting back this year!

Having said that last year was the first time I'd done it so I'm sure there are better methods than mine!

Comment

• Ha, trial and error - what works for some doesn't work for others!
                              I've read that if you prune, you also need to trim the roots which presumably you are doing by digging the plants up.
                              The temperatures are too cold in my GH in October for chillies and as they are still flowering I don't like to disturb them too much and carrying a pot in is easier !

Comment

• most of mine are in flower buckets. The ones in the greenhouse are already starting to look sad, due to the cold nights I guess....

I have a feeling I will be bringing them all inside the house a lot earlier than last year....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X