No announcement yet.

Sowing cucs/courgettes/squashes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may sow a few more this week but already have 1 Crystal Apple, 1 Marketmore, 2 Straight 8 and 3 Piccolo growing away happily in the house...Will leave them there for a while and then put them out to the greenhouse when frost risk gone...
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
    sigpic

Comment

I have had some planted for just over a week. No sign of anything of thing with the ones at home in my mini greenhouse. The ones at work, I have been using the window sill there for extra space, however sprouted over the weekend and are nearly an inch tall.

Comment

sowed mine into the propagator last monday,5 out of 7 now showing,but the weather is cold again so they will stay in there til it warms up again,4deg and raining now..

Comment

The locals here who witter on about planting by the Moon say that this is going to be a year with a lot of late frosts, right to the end of May. It is also a 'lune rousse' year which predicts poor weather until very late on, even after the 'Saint glaces' which are normally mid May. Before you ridicule these beliefs, as I once did, please believe that they usually get it right!

So unless you are prepared to pot on your courgettes and squashes and keep them cosy under cover, you may lose them. The best solution would be to get them outside but under covers like those plastic domes or something made out of polythene (which is what I'm planning to do with my melons.)

Comment

Is why I am waiting another two weeks. I have looked at the long range met forecast which also predicts this.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

our forecast never seems to change,so i just play it by ear now,the melons will go in tubs into the altered chookhouse/new greenhouse,it stays warmer in there now,i built new staging to take all the peppers into there and the peach tree in there is loving it...

Comment

I sowed some pumpkin and butternut squash yesterday. The cucumbers, courgettes and gherkins are going to have to wait until next week as I have no more room on the windowsills.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Sowed courgettes and squashes yesterday, either in greenhouse or conservatory, along with some extra cucs. Sowed my first cuc with the peppers, chillies and tomatoes at the end of Jan and have two fruits growing visibly already! It's in the heated conservatory, of course.

Comment

Planted my courgettes and cucumbers last week in heated greenhouse. Sowed first of my sweetcorn today under fleece in polytunnel.
                    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather improves enough in the next couple of weeks to sow mine straight into the blow away as run out of space inside!

Comment

The first cucumbers planted on the windowsill a couple of weeeks ago were rubbish - one out of 6 worked. So have tried a handful more yesterday along with squashes and courgettes. The solo cucumber is now outisde in the unheated greenhouse and looks quite happy

Comment

My extra ones were sown Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by shona_b View Post
                            The first cucumbers planted on the windowsill a couple of weeeks ago were rubbish - one out of 6 worked. So have tried a handful more yesterday along with squashes and courgettes. The solo cucumber is now outisde in the unheated greenhouse and looks quite happy
                            They really do need a warm place to germinate. If you don't have a heated propagator or airing cupboard then make sure the windowsill is a warm one.

Comment

Somehow struck lucky this year. I sowed mine about a week and a half ago in the greenhouse and I've had 100% germination for both cukes and courgettes. They'll need potting on if the weather turns as they reckon it will, but all seedlings look healthy. I've got about 18 tomato seedlings up so far, too! Woo yeah! Go me!

Comment

Sowed two pumpkin, squash and courgettes in a heated propagator on Saturday, looked yesterday and the pumpkins have already emerged.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X