No announcement yet.

Assorted Kale !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too love kale. It's amazing drizzled with a bit of honey and then grilled - it goes really crispy. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      I'll have to knit hats for the kale to keep those pigeons away - there are rather a lot of the waddling blighters here
      At worst, I'll have some walking sticks
      If you're not netting you'll have to have a go at making Bird scarer's like Alys Fowler did for her Kale.

Edible Garden - Roots and Leafy Greens - YouTube

its around 26.10 on the youtube clip.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'd better start collecting feathers, Bren - or will the buzzards be enough of a threat
        Do squirrels climb kale......?

Comment

So how do you eat it? We used to buy it in big bags from the supermarket ready chopped for the tortoises to eat. We tried it boiled once, but the stalky bits were rock hard If you can come up with some recipes that you've tried please pass them over here (not ones off net that we don't know if they work!) I might have a go at squeezing some in here somewhere! Is it perennial?
          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            If you're not netting you'll have to have a go at making Bird scarer's like Alys Fowler did for her Kale.

Edible Garden - Roots and Leafy Greens - YouTube

its around 26.10 on the youtube clip.
            Thank you for posting the link to these videos! I've been watching them today and her style is exactly what I'm trying to do with my little patch. Very helpful.
            March is the new winter.

Comment

I love kale and strip slice it like cabbage, then steam. I love my brassicas naked
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                So how do you eat it? We used to buy it in big bags from the supermarket ready chopped for the tortoises to eat. We tried it boiled once, but the stalky bits were rock hard If you can come up with some recipes that you've tried please pass them over here (not ones off net that we don't know if they work!) I might have a go at squeezing some in here somewhere! Is it perennial?
                That's the trouble with the ready chopped stuff - they chop the stalks in too. Better to get the leaves whole and strip the leafy bits off the stalks. I tend to boil it in salted water until tender before doing whatever else with it as I don't find that wilting it down in a pan with some olive oil gets it soft enough for my taste. One nice way is to drain it then saute briefly with some garlic and chilli flakes, then squeeze a bit of lemon over. Also, I found at Christmas that kale is gorgeous with turkey.
                March is the new winter.

Comment

You can eat the small leaves raw too. I use it in stirfries, or stripped from the stalks, shredded, lightly cooked and stirred into pasta. or even more finely shredded and deep fried to become "crispy fried seaweed"

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                    I love kale and strip slice it like cabbage, then steam. I love my brassicas naked
                    MMMmmmmmmm naked, covered in butter and sea salt...................erotic or what!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      MMMmmmmmmm naked, covered in butter and sea salt...................erotic or what!
                      Where's the 'I'm-really-worried-about-you-now' button when you need one...
                      March is the new winter.

Comment

I like Kale in soups and curries.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          Innit just. Love naked food. Pure and unsullied
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                            Innit just. Love naked food. Pure and unsullied
                            Is that why you grow virgin veg?
                            March is the new winter.

Comment

Yes the purer the better

Comment

Has anyone grown Cavolo Palmizio Senza Testa? Was thinking about grabbing some on the BOGOF on T&M.
                                While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X