Planting Through Newspaper

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Teamwork J, you start at the top & I'll take the bottom............
    ooerrr mister theres a plan
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Am I right in thinking the well rotted chipping won't be as damaging to the structure of the soil. Initially it will be used just to hold the paper in place then dug in over autumn/winter next year.
      I wouldn't say there would be any damage as such to the soil structure from rotted or unrotted chippings. I suppose creating a more easily drained growing medium could be construed by some as damage but as it's a deliberate consequence, I'd be more considering that improvement. Biodegraded chippings will add to the humus which for most soils would also be an improvement.

On the other hand, if you are talking of the tendency for unrotted chippings to leach nitrogen from the soil
      and asking whether biodegraded chippings will do the same, well no they won't. Again, that's my take on it. Others may have a different view.

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
        I've just been talking organic grassy hay ... will be mulched up big time
        Careful, careful. Hay has seeds on it. They could germinate into grass if put on your plot. Straw is OK, because that's just the stalks, no seeds

Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
        Lots of wood chips ... Will it not use up the nitrogen in the soil?
        Apparently not. Digging it in, on the other hand, does "rob" nitrogen. Mulch, the great cover story - Telegraph

Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
        Will it help improve drainage?
        Once the worms get to work, yes. Their tunnels aerate the soil, and mulch of any kind attracts lots of worms.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Careful, careful. Hay has seeds on it. They could germinate into grass if put on your plot. Straw is OK, because that's just the stalks, no seeds

Apparently not. Digging it in, on the other hand, does "rob" nitrogen. Mulch, the great cover story - Telegraph

Once the worms get to work, yes. Their tunnels aerate the soil, and mulch of any kind attracts lots of worms.
          Thanks for that - think I'll stick to the straw and seaweed just now and compost the woodchips
          Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X