No announcement yet.

Planting Through Newspaper

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're very windy here (all those beans and lentils..... )

But I've used paper/cardboard. Wet it, then add hay over the top (or like you suggested wood chips) usually I'm putting some dirt on the first hay and then hay again. Wetting between each layer.

But there are some areas where I'm just using paper and hay. As long as you wet the newspaper and then the hay it works. It's when you leave it dry that it takes off in the wind. The hay/chips on top of the paper helps keep the paper moist if you've watered it before adding the top layer.

So here, it's wet the ground/grass, add paper and wet it. Add hay, wet it, add dirt, wet, add hay wet.
    I find it you put the paper on dry ground and then add the dry hay, it will not penetrate when you do water. But if you water as you make it, then it makes it stick together.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Cheers Feral, must make a mental note to put a sprinkle of blue pellets & fertiliser on before I lay the paper.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I got a fair quantity of corrigated cardboard when i had my new kitchen fitted and intend to use that as summer mulch. I will lay it down, water it then plant through it. I always use paper in my bean trench.
        Roger
        Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          I bow to all of your superior knowledges............however I am reluctant to just leave the paper on the surface as the plot is quite open. The last thing I want is HM on my case.......she ain't getting her hands on my plot........
          Why would I want your plot when I have my own double greenhouse & shed now Just make sure it dont blow around site or Mrs W will be after you!!!
          You could always use some of the copious amounts of chippings we have on site on top of it that should suit your everything neat & tidy disorder
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
            Why would I want your plot when I have my own double greenhouse & shed now Just make sure it dont blow around site or Mrs W will be after you!!!
            You could always use some of the copious amounts of chippings we have on site on top of it that should suit your everything neat & tidy disorder
            Thats the plan J but will have to be from the bottom of the heap..................I don't want to risk upsetting the balance of the soil with fresh chippings.
            Last edited by Bigmallly; 15-01-2013, 12:10 PM.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post
              I've got sacks and sacks of shredded paper ...dampen it down nicely with plenty of water and stick that down around and in between the spuds?
              Yes, that will work really well

Wondering if, once it dries out a bit, bits will just start getting blown around
              My site is windy (look at my location) ~ in hot weather the paper can dry out and blow, so I weight it down with clods or a loose covering of soil.
              In the winter, it stays where it is, because it's always wet

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
              please weigh it down with something heavy.
              sacks of leafmould; soil; stones; bottles of water

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
              it was probably some of the best mulch I used.
              yep, it's great. It diverts a waste resource (paper) from landfill, or saves air miles (from shipping it to India to be recycled), plus it IMPROVES your soil

I haven't found slugs to be a huge menace under the mulch. If it's laid really well, like papier mache, they can't easily get in and out of it, they prefer to hide under the planks I have scattered about the plot.
              They haven't cottoned onto the fact that those hidey holes are deliberate: I just overturn the planks and salt the slugs.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

[QUOTE=Two_Sheds;1078563]Yes, that will work really well

Fabulous! Especially as I have half a small shed full of sacks of the stuff with half a dozen more in the car and it's still coming!
                http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Thats the plan J but will have to be from the bottom of the heap..................I don't want to risk upsetting the balance of the soil with fresh chippings.
                  Theres quite a bit of well rotted stuff around site if its not covered in snow at w/end I'll point em out to you - you can get it up to your plot before it disappears onto my new paths
                  The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I've just been talking organic grassy hay with the organic meat man! Could be that the Fruit and Nut Forest will be mulched up big time sometime soon!
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Theres quite a bit of well rotted stuff around site if its not covered in snow at w/end I'll point em out to you - you can get it up to your plot before it disappears onto my new paths
                      Lots of wood chips outside our gates dumped by the Council - I have been using the fresh stuff on my paths - most of the heap that is left is somewhat rotted - what are the benfits of using it as a mulch on the beds apart from weed suppression? Will it not use up the nitrogen in the soil? Will it help improve drainage?
                      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
                        Will it not use up the nitrogen in the soil? Will it help improve drainage?
                        Yes to the first part imho. May well improve drainage initially but the benefits will reduce as the bark biodegrades

Comment

Thanks AP
                          Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

I've got sacks and sacks of shredded paper from my Mum's work and I'm wondering whether I could dampen it down nicely with plenty of water and stick that down around and in between the spuds?

Wondering if, once it dries out a bit, bits will just start getting blown around and annoying my plot neighbours!

I'm gradually sticking it in the compost and it's great for getting the fire going on the plot but I've still got so much left I need more inspiration for uses!
                            I used shredded bills around the strawberries last two years, 2011 it blew around and was a bit messy when it was dry, but no problem with that in 2012! Both years it had rotted down by the end of the year.
                            Also it was a bit in your face white and stood out like a sore thumb when it was new. Seemed to work okay at keeping the fruit separate from the slugs though.
                            Last edited by muddyfeet; 16-01-2013, 03:14 PM.
                            Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
                            www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                              Yes to the first part imho. May well improve drainage initially but the benefits will reduce as the bark biodegrades
                              Am I right in thinking the well rotted chipping won't be as damaging to the structure of the soil. Initially it will be used just to hold the paper in place then dug in over autumn/winter next year.

Comment

Teamwork J, you start at the top & I'll take the bottom............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X