No announcement yet.

World's Heaviest Onion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you don't like quality AND quantity??!!?!?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

We prefer quality to quantity but to have both is a bonus

Comment

The point of trying to grow a world record specimen is
        a. records are there to be broken
        b. There is a £1500 prize at harrogate for breaking the world record.
        c. There is a market for seed from world record specimens and seed is easily produced.

Peter Glazebrook gets a buzz from growing large veg and beating previous records. I take my hat off to him. He's a quiet unassuming man who is happy to share his growing secrets. A real toff in my book.

Bit silly to compare with veg for the kitchen. That just misses the point completely. However, for the avoidance of doubt, giant onions are as edible and as tasty as smaller onions. Most of them have been bred from the kelsae onion and are brilliant sliced thin and used in a cheese and onion sandwich.

Comment

May I ask a sensible-ish question please? If you want to grow giant onions, I presume you would let them form seed each year and grow on from those seeds. By cutting the onion for exhibition, has he lost the chance of seed - or will he have other giant onions waiting in the wings for seed production?
          Having written this, the answer is obvious - yes, he has more big onions. Just wondered what happens next.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X