• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's EXACTLY what I do bud
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Ok, this year I'll try small and large cloves, and see what happens in Kent.
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

The size doesn't matter in Ma's kitchen. It all gets eaten. There probably is a link between size and potency. She did tell me yesterday to blitz the crop and freeze.

Will be doing as I did last year with the first ever sowing; just bung it all in-through newspaper-and see what happens.
        Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
          hmm the only problem with buying them from a supermarket/greengrocer is that they are usually grown in spain, so the are not the best type for our climate and they may also be carrying disease!
          Well I've been doing it for **** years now and they've been fine. I did once buy proper expensive Isle of Wight seed garlic, and it was awful ~ my Aldi ones did better,so that's what I'm sticking to
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Well I've been doing it for **** years now and they've been fine. I did once buy proper expensive Isle of Wight seed garlic, and it was awful ~ my Aldi ones did better,so that's what I'm sticking to
            Me too.
            I am intrigued as to your asterisks. I can't think of a suitable word.
            Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
              I am intrigued as to your asterisks.
              me too - jees i didn't think that suggesting to people to buy garlic that was bred to be cultivated would create an uproar!!!

The mind boggles!
              Last edited by Matt94; 26-08-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

four
                five
                nine

takes yer pick
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Many
                  Ten+

Comment

I think I need to start an experiment....

Aldi garlic vs proper IoW garlic!
                    The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                    William M. Davies

Comment

I've just bought some iow garlic. Hope it turns out ok. I also have order some other too that I had last year which done well for my first year growing.

Comment

Will probably use a mix of Seeds of Italy stuff and saved cloves this year after the rest of the bought stuff (IoW and that Scottish one) did so poorly. Tempted by Aldi now though!

Comment

I usually plant my own but this year has been carp, what with the weather. Had a lot of tiny bulbs and a few go mouldy and while we still have a decent amount - not quite enough to re-plant. We eat loads of the stuff. Our local indian supermarket sells em cheap as chips and after reading about plenty of folk using shop bought stuff, I'm going to try it, as well as re-planting some of my own.

I'm also going to test this clove size whatsit as everywhere you look says plant bigguns. If you could get good size bulbs from those pathetic weeny cloves, then that would be rather good I reckon. I did read a theory that bulb size is more important ie cloves from a big bulb should produce big bulbs - but the size of the cloves is irrelevant.
                          Last edited by Shadylane; 27-08-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X