No announcement yet.

The upside to all this rain

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob and Lukens, this has been a horrid year for new and old gardeners alike. I'm on my 3rd sowing of courgettes, squashes and pumpkins having lost about 70 plants already to the slimies. My beans have gone the same way, my onions were strimmed by a well-meaning neighbour! If I'm very lucky I'll have some spuds and tomatoes but I don't hold out much hope for anything else.
    On the positive side, there are lots of seeds that can be sown now for autumn crops and I'm going to give them a go. The weather is bound to dry up and warm up before long. Chalk this one up to experience and sow on

Comment

Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
      It looks as though we'll get some runner beans this year.
      This week last year I was picking lots of beans, but this year I only have a few flowers on a few plants

Dismal
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My potatoes in a bag have survived/thrived. My tomatoes in the blowaway don't notice that I'm not there to water them for five days out of every week. My allotment soil isn't a sheet of solid set clay. These are all good things.

Normally my issue is only being able to water at weekends, things die during the week. So far this year, I have lost things to slugs and snails and to overwatering (lol), but haven't lost a single thing to drought, not even inside the blowaways as even the air is damp enough to let them survive the weekdays without water.

I would have prefered a bit more sun, if only to prompt the grass to bother growing. We've only had three lawn cuts this year I think, which just isn't cutting it (boom-boom) for mulching the allotment.
        Proud member of the Nutters Club.
        Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

this year has been worse yet in my 4 years of allotmenteering. Blight on spuds, teeny tomatoes on waterlogged plants (those that have even bothered to flower), beans blown to ground, squashes given up due to cold and constant attack from the evergrowing snail population. Only the rhubarb seems to have thrived and I don't even like that!

Comment

Rhubarb has done well, chard is lush and plentiful, Florence fennel has been tender and radishes, lettuce, beetroot, Kohl rabi and broad beans all seem to have benefited from plenty of rain. Just chopped the tops off some of my spuds (early blight) but the tubers are a good size and plenty of them.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

my raspberries are doing alright - this year I am seeing the benefit of havin the lotty in the corner under the trees as my ground isn't waterlogged .... that's a small benefit though as I don't get much sun ( not that there is much to have anyway)
              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Not sure if it is due to the wet weather but I have been harvesting off the same few March sown little gems for a number of weeks a few leaves at a time. They are now tall stalks with new leaves growing off the top and they seem to want to keep growing. Theyre on my list for next year, but is this typical of little gems or is the weather a contributing factor to how long they are lasting?

Comment

Originally posted by cazp View Post
                  They are now tall stalks with new leaves growing off the top and they seem to want to keep growing.
                  Sounds like they're bolting. Lettuces do that round this time of year if it's warm. The leaves tend to go bitter but if you haven't noticed then don't worry and keep scoffing em.

Upside to the rain eh? Well, best year ever for broadies, though some have choccie spot and doing nowt. Peas also - never seen em so tall. Last year the rasps weren't happy cos of the drought - this year they're going mouldy. Comfrey's doing well tho, no mildew yet and the wildife area is, well, wild. I can no longer see the pond. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
                    Florence fennel has been tender
                    Why, thank you kind sir I'm sure a lot of folk must think I'm as tough as old boots
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

It's raining again here after a fine day yesterday, but it's looking even more like I'll get a good crop of runner beans, so that really pleases me.
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Downside - weeds, billions of them. I hate weeding and will forever go on about it and living in the countryside surrounded by fields and roadside weeds they are a constant threat - I pull some up an after a week of rain another billion have emerged from the seeds blown around by the gale force wind.
                        Things like pumpkins, marrows and squash dont seem to be doing as well, lack of heat and sun I'd imagine.

Positives - Potatoes, I have 40 potato plants around the garden and have lifted two so far and have ended up with over 50 potatoes from those two plants. Maths would indicate I am going to get 1000 potatoes... I am not counting the teeny tiny ones by the way, just golf ball or bigger
                        Strawberries are doing amazingly, I have fruit set on some plants that were only sown from seed 5 months ago... Beans are a nice lush green colour unlike last year and I think im in the minority here, but the sweetcorn seems to love it too, despite the lack of sun a plant has now gone beyond the 6 foot in height mark, this plant also has 5 cobs on it and a visible second male part.

Now... Its sunny outside, 3 hours before work so I am off to weed myself silly.
                        Hose Pipe Reviews

Comment

Biggest plus side to the amount of rainfall .... no shortage of water to make beer & whisky with
                          Last edited by bearded bloke; 14-07-2012, 08:33 AM.
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

The only 'upside' I can think of, is that my IBC container, for the Chooks, and emergency garden water in the event of a drought, is full. It filled in three days, and isn't needed. Therefore, it will go green with algae, so will be no use for the Chooks (their water troughs are refilling automatically with rain, anyway), and I'll have to waste it.
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Upside - my hydrangea is delighted and flowering its socks off - same with my blue agapanthus in a pot!
                              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I still can't think of any...............................................

It's all pants (except for the Alderman peas )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X