Carrots in tubs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots in tubs

I wanted to plant some carrots in tubs - how big should the tubs be???? Can I use patio planters?

It depends on the variety, the longer the carrot ie short round ones would need a shorter tub than say sugarsnax which are really long.

Comment

Hello Sweetcorn, your tubs can be any diameter you have but for longer varieties they need to be about 8" deep. I got good crops from Early Nantes in rose pots. If you take the time to plant the seeds out singly about 1" apart each way the carrots will fill the pots.
      Short round carrots like Parmex can go in slightly shallower pots.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Just planted up a couple of 10 inch pots as described by alice. Very fiddly and took a while but time spent now saves time later thinning out and does not waste seed. Fitted about 40 seeds at the spacing recommended and can't wait to see the results

Comment

I think I'll give it a go. Because I've just made raised beds, I think the soil is too well manured to plant in the beds themselves. Have planted some small round ones, but the long 'uns will go in some of my patio pots, methinks.

Comment

Buckets with holes in are good. Salad and finger varieties worked fine last year. Keep watered.
            J

Comment

Joel, do you just use regular potting compost?

Comment

Carrots in Pots

I had great success late last year in growing carrots in pots. My allotment is a clay nightmare and getting them to germinate has always been difficult so I tried out a bit of insurance. I sowed a full packet in a 10 inch pot and had some lovely sweet baby carrots in winter. This year I have sowed one packet in two 10 inch pots and forced them in my cold greenhouse (I used an early forcing variety - Amsterdam Forcing). Don't bother thinning them just enjoy!
                Last edited by George Gray; 25-04-2007, 09:17 PM.
                George the Pigman

Comment

I use my B&Q buckets.2/3rds compost,1 part sand,with small plant pot in middle to water into.Grow any type you want.I just keep thinning(and eating!) smaller carrots and leave some to grow on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X