No announcement yet.

Blinkin' Wind!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had to cancel daughters 17th birthday BBQ after a near death experience trying to put up gazebo- foolish think to do- nearly took off!

Comment

I am so sorry for those of you who have suffered veg loss in this weather. A couple of years ago my 20-something tomatoes went down like dominoes and three blowaways blew away, so I know how you feel. It's breezy and wet here, but nothing like the gale force winds you are experiencing.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by mudpies View Post
        Just had to cancel daughters 17th birthday BBQ after a near death experience trying to put up gazebo- foolish think to do- nearly took off!
        Hope you're partying inside mudpies - enjoy!
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Well, went to survey the damage, almost all the broad beans blew over but thankfully none looked like they had snapped, I considered standing them up and tying them but then you risk breaking them by moving them again so soon. French beans however took a severe battering reckon I might loose a good few, next time whatever god you believe in wants a fart tell him not to aim it at the UK .....
          My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

The winds here were awful as well! The only thing I have put in the conservatory is the tomatoes. The french beans, runners, strawberries and rhubarb have all survived with zero damage! Thank goodness

Edit: I lied, just been outside and I have seen a few strawberry leaves floating about
            Last edited by Rhoda; 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I had to nip into school and rescue the blowaway - and the infants sunflowers in pots that were inside. Luckily they were intact and the gardening club's seedlings were ok.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Generally battered and bruised. Broad beans are at 45 degrees but still intact, 1 or 2 potatoes broken. Biggest loss is 2 of my 5 winter squash are stumps. Still, not complining (too much) after having read of some of the problems of you lot. Good luck all.
                Where there's muck, there's brassicas

Comment

Had really bad winds last night, one set of spuds has totally drooped over but none snaped that i can see . my Cuc took a tumble and has had its wee tendrel snapped and lost a leaf but seems okay. had a pot dash this morning to rescue them from around the garden. empty mind.

apart from that i think im okay but we shall see tomorrow
                  Only after the last tree has been cutdown Only after the last river has been poisoned Only after the last fish has been caught Only then will you find
                  That money cannot be eaten
                  Cree indian

Comment

two snapped sunflowers this morning, two tomato plants bent over and one top snapped off (hoping the sideshoots grow, Been at work all day so haven't seen the carnage on the plot yet...

Comment

Wednesday I potted on some of my tomato's and put them outside in final positions, then it got interesting!, all seem to have survived but with a little damage, thankfully no snapped stems just some leaf loss.............
                      Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
                        two snapped sunflowers this morning, two tomato plants bent over and one top snapped off (hoping the sideshoots grow, Been at work all day so haven't seen the carnage on the plot yet...
                        If you still have the snapped of bit take off all leaves but two and pop it in water, nothing to loose and you may gain a plant.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

hi Colin, they were still hanging by a thread so have tried replacing them and stringing them with a heap of ties to their stakes again, hoping they might just heal. Otherwise, I still have three which are now snuggly in the conservatory until the gale force winds ease off.

First time trying Russian giants, and they were just starting to flower !! Grr!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X