Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worry about that if there is any

Comment

I'd advise just locking the spray away, and forgetting about what might/maybe happen now. The damage should be minimal and the spray will break down fast in the heat and sun you're having. Just chill as my kids say. Start dwelling on what you need to do next or you'll be so worried about them not making it that you won't have planned what to do next with the hundreds of plants you do have.
      It's all a learning curve, so that's one thing crossed off your learning list already.
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by ItsEssexRob View Post
        The weedkiller tub says ' it leaves no residue in the soil'
        He obviously thought he was preventing them coming back or killing the roots.
        Can't he read? *genuinely puzzled*

Systemic means it attacks the plant's (entire) system, but to do that it needs to be put on a plant !

This is precisely why chemicals get banned ... improper, irresponsible use
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Poor Rob, your friend is the kind who thinks he knows a lot about a lot when actually he knows very little. I'm sure things will be fine and you'll soon be far more of an expert than your friend! Get on with other things to stop you worrying. There's always plenty to do!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
            I thought there were two types of weedkiller - systemic = taken up by plant which then hopefully dies and then ones which act on the soil and then break down. if there were no weeds then spraying soil with no weeds in it is ineffectual. Or have I got the wrong idea. Don't use much weedkiller just a squirt on particularly naughty bindweed.
            Glyphosate (Roundup) is systemic and will be ineffectual at preventing weeds from growing on bare soil, but is still an unecessary pollutant no matter what Monsanto say!

Sosium Chlorate is residual............i.e. it 'resides' in the soil. Depending on the dosage you may not be able to grow anything in that area for years!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

By the sound of it your's wasn't residual.

As a general warning you have to be very careful with residual weed killer.
              Used on a path it will kill the weeds and stay in the path for a long time.
              However
              1) It may leach/spread sideways and kill things in the border.
              2) Bushes/shrubs/trees some distance off might have roots under the path.
              3) Pots, containers and grow bags placed on or near the path may allow plant roots to grow into or under the path.

I knew someone who applied it to the base of his fences to get rid off Marestail. Killed quite a lot of his neighbours plants on the other side of the fence.

Always read the instructions, a number of times !

Jimmy
              Last edited by Jimmy; 30-05-2012, 11:46 AM.
              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Can't he read? *genuinely puzzled*

Systemic means it attacks the plant's (entire) system, but to do that it needs to be put on a plant !

This is precisely why chemicals get banned ... improper, irresponsible use
                He find communicating hard due to deafness and I assume bought it assuming all weedkillers are the same.

I doubt he would know what systemic/residual weedkillers were and just thought all weedkillers were the same.

If I hadve had my way I wouldnt have bought any weedkiller and I hate the thought of the stuff, but as I say, he tends to take over when its something he thinks he knows about.

Question: Is my ground safe to walk on now? Ie the pavings and soil? Or could any weedkiller be lingering?

Comment

If it's dry it's fine anyway. If it's wet it's diluted over time with the condensation, and also with the breakdown of the product due to light and heat. You'll be fine.
                  Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

Rob, Glyphosate does break down quickly in the soil, particularly in hot dry, sunny conditions. However to say that it leaves no residue...I'd call it an unproven assertion by the manufacturers, except that it is a thoroughly disproven assertion.
                    Happily for you the main breakdown product which stays as residue, though toxic, is not a pesticide, it is associated with genetic damage, fetal malformations etc (if I remember correctly) - so as long as you are not planning to father any babies on that spot...!
                    The carrier oil used in such spray-bottle products, which is designed to bind chemically with that particular pesticide and gives it the right physical characteristics of viscosity and stickiness to be sprayable yet adhere to the target, is often half the problem toxicologically. But being an oil, and furthermore sensitive to degradation by heat and moisture, I would expect that there is little chance of there being any damage from condensation. If there was a spray aerosol still floating around when the plants were put into the greenhouse and they had open stomata in the leaves, I suppose that might be a bit different. Then, the old rule of thumb of toxicology - if you can smell it it's harmful - would apply. However, it is broken down by chemical and biological reactions within the soil, so simply treading liquid residue into the greenhouse on your feet is a matter that will soon resolve itself.
                    Offhand, don't know what other products that there may be in there.
                    I can see why you would be irked, but if there is no damage visible within three days I think you are safe, and there are much worse products that he could have used. (2,4,5-T springs to mind...contains Agent Orange as an impurity.)
                    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I doubt he would know what systemic/residual weedkillers were and just thought all weedkillers were the same.
                      ... and he didn't bother reading the instructions?

Thank goodness you aren't letting him put up your greenhouse, goodness knows what damage he could do with a spade. And a trench. A big 2 foot trench ... in this rain ...

(I'm pulling your leg, you know that. It'll all work out)
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Naughty 2Sheds Naughty.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

You never know TS, with a nice deep trench full of water, perhaps he would've ended up growing water chestnuts...
                          ...no, on second thoughts, given the level of herbicide in the soil, it's chestnut likely !

Comment

I think I would plant your "friend" in the hole and concrete over it

Comment

Have I missed an opportunity here? I think I may have
                              Ali

Comment

I think I would plant your "friend" in the hole and concrete over it
                                That's a terrible thing to say, Veggie - I think you are giving in to base instincts !

Okay, Feral, I'll bite (does that make me an honorary member of the Aussie fauna ?) - what opportunity have you missed ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X