No announcement yet.

Weedkiller

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pretty unlikely that the condensation contains weedkiller in my view (assuming it was the solid type that is dissolved in water before use) - when the water vapourises it will leave behind any contaminants such as salts or in this case WK (unless they have a similar boilding point which as solids they wont have).

Comment

Originally posted by ItsEssexRob View Post
      I went out there just now. Everything seems OK, but I noticed the plastic cover on my greenhouse at the top was covered in dripping condensation. I assume this was from the watering in the evening? I trust this cannot contain any of the weedkiller that was sprayed on the soil/stones? I ask because its dripping down onto everything.

The weedkiller tub says ' it leaves no residue in the soil' is this a good thing?

What are the first signs of damage?
      You need to ventilate your greenhouse and water less so you don't get condensation. Can you let us know the brand name of the weedkiller please.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsEssexRob View Post
        He just sprayed the soil where he excavated for the greenhouse. There were no weeds in there but it was to ensure they didnt start growing before anything was put down.
        You need to know what the weedkiller was called.
        It's pointless using systemic on bare soil.
        So it's possible it was a total kill everything weedkiller. Like brushwood killer.
        If so you won't be able to plant in the soil again for quite a while.
        What was it's name ?
        Jimmy
        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

It is B and Q path and patio weed killer contains glyphosate in aqueous solution. Leaves no residue in soil.

Is it not likely it could rain back down on top of my plants then?

Comment

I think EssexRob that if it was going to do that it would have done it already, so I wouldn't stress over it. There may be some weedkiller in it but it would be fairly diluted. Young plants are fairly susceptible but I think you're much safer than if they had spray drift at the time of spraying.
            For weeds between paving if it's only a few then boiling water is good. Just don't trip and spill it on yourself.
            Glyphosate is a knockdown weedkiller so it kills what you spray it on, but there's no point spraying it on bare ground. They do say it doesn't stay in the ground, I still don't like using it but have to at times. There are other sprays particularly for woody plants that can stay in the soil for years.
            You will find a lot of weeds have modified themselves to tolerate glyphosate these days too.

With any luck your plants will be fine, but if they've already had a dose then worrying about it won't make it better. Finger's crossed and lock the spray up when your friend is around next time.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Right, it shouldn't harm your plants but your mate was wasting his time spraying it onto bare earth. I hope you didn't pay for the product. Glyphosate only works if you spray it onto actively growing weeds.

Comment

I did pay for it lol he is very good at some things but thinks he knows more than he does about some things, and so takes over everything. Very annoying sometimes, thats why I have been stressing about the plants, as I have put so much effort into my first time. Releived to hear you guys say it should be ok.

Comment

Can't understand why, if you had no weeds you or your friend felt it necessary to spray bare soil?

If you MUST use weedliller please read the label before use. Glyphosate isn't a residual weedkiller, if it was you wouldn't be able to grow anything in the greenhouse bed soil for years.

You've just added another pollutant to the food chain for no reason.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I didnt, he did. I didnt want him to use weedkiller at all because im paranoid about it, but hes deaf and doesnt take no for an answer, when its something he thinks he knows about.

Comment

At the moment it's warm enough to give ventilation at night so that condensation doesn't cause a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                        At the moment it's warm enough to give ventilation at night so that condensation doesn't cause a problem.
                        Yeah I did today but didnt last night.

Comment

I thought there were two types of weedkiller - systemic = taken up by plant which then hopefully dies and then ones which act on the soil and then break down. if there were no weeds then spraying soil with no weeds in it is ineffectual. Or have I got the wrong idea. Don't use much weedkiller just a squirt on particularly naughty bindweed.

Comment

Spraying bare soil with a systemic weed killer is pointless. It HAS to be applied to the leaves of a growing plant in order to work. The condensation in the green-house could contain traces of weed killer, but if it has and has dripped onto your plants the damage is done. You can only wait and see now. I do hope your friends irresponsible actions don't result in a plant disaster. For heavens sake, don't let him near your plants with his spray-bottle again!
                            When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

I'm a bit confused as to what weeds were being killed in the first place?

Comment

He obviously thought he was preventing them coming back or killing the roots.

What is the likelyhood it got into the condensation on the roof?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X