No announcement yet.

Plastic Drip Trays

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thinking about your system BigM and trying to simplify it so that I don't have to cut whacking great holes in MFBs.
    What if one threaded a piece of wicking material (rag) through the pot, from top to bottom and out through a drainage hole, then filled the pot with compost and planted your toms into it. Then the pot is raised on a couple of blocks above the base of the outer pot with the wick trailing into the water.
    Do you think that would work?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Just thinking about your system BigM and trying to simplify it so that I don't have to cut whacking great holes in MFBs.
      What if one threaded a piece of wicking material (rag) through the pot, from top to bottom and out through a drainage hole, then filled the pot with compost and planted your toms into it. Then the pot is raised on a couple of blocks above the base of the outer pot with the wick trailing into the water.
      Do you think that would work?
      I'm sure that would work perfectly. I have done that with 2lt pop bottles. Cut them in half (roughly), feed some wicking material through the hole where the lid was,fill with MPC then fit that section inside the bottom half of the bottle. I have Nastertiums growing in them and it works perfectly, plus because the bottles are clear, you can see at a glance if they need watering.
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 22-05-2012, 02:09 PM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Here is a prototype to my "design" but I need to buy some more MPC to test it out!
        Its a large flower pot, a loop of old towel suspended from a stick, the lid of a coffee jar and a Flower bucket.
        I'll fill the flowerpot with MPC then bury the towel in the MPC leaving two wicks. I don't know whether one wick would be enough but I can always pull one out if its too wet.
        The lid sits inside the flower bucket with the flowerpot resting on it and the 2 bits of wick sitting in the water. Thinking this through now, a higher riser than the lid would mean that the outer pot could hold more water, so the reservoir would last longer.
        Goes off to find something taller and buy some MPC. Back soon!
        Attached Files

Comment

Looking good vc. I would just let the wick rest in the bottom 2" of the compost as the compost will soak it up as well. I would go for a higher platform a) It will hold more water as you rightly pointed out & b) unless you are going to put a filler pipe in, there will be more room to fill the reservoir. Don't forget to put a drainage hole in the outer pot about half inch below the bottom level of the inner pot so it is not standing in water..........hope that makes sense.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Perfect sense, Big M. Thanks!
            I have ordered my MPC from the local shop, it will be delivered by the Boy tomorrow as his father said it would be good for him to carry it up the steps!!
            I have no idea what sort of MPC it will be but Steve the Shop said it was good stuff. Convenience wins out over idealism, in this case!!

Comment

If you have any old plastic pipe knocking around you could put a length between the buckets and fill it with a funnel. You will know when it is full when it runs out of the drain hole.

Edit: If you do use some pipe, cut the bottom at an angle so that it is not flush with the bottom of the pot. It make get clogged up otherwise and not fill.
              Last edited by Bigmallly; 22-05-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I have some of that blue water pipe stuff that I salvaged from the plumber's discards. I knew it would be useful one day!

Comment

Perfect, just cut a 45 degree angle on the bottom to allow the water out when filling.

Comment

Oh no! I'm trying to avoid tampering with anything, so that when it doesn't work I can start again
                    Sorry, I must be positive, none of this negativity. It will work, I will cut off the end, I will poke a hole in the bucket, etc etc

Comment

Good girl..............now breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Good girl..............now breath.
                        Oddly enough, I've never stopped, but I will one day and surprise myself!!

Comment

Methinks that will surprise us all..........

Comment

Its best if its a surprise........ Most surprises I like, not sure about that one though! What a morbid comversation

Comment

It's ok to stop breathing................so long as you remember to start again......

Comment

In out, In out, In Out, Hey, I think I've got it now......such relief!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X