Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for those who have paths on their plot .......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dominic10 View Post
    Not only do grass paths need cutting but the edges also need tidying - grass can also be very slippy. The grass on our allotment site seems to seed at a very low height. We're going to use a mixture of freecycled paving slabs, old carpet cut down into path size lengths and scaffold boards - mainly because we want to be able to change the layout. Also we'll use stable litter round our permanent raised beds to keep down the inevitable weeds (we've just taken over a neglected plot). A relative used bark chippings and had a major slug problem but this may have been a one off so I'm not too keen to use this. We think the chippings had the slugs eggs in them.
    Obviously different things work for different people but I wouldn't use carpets, a lot of sites have banned them anyway. The previous plot holder on my plot had used loads of those carpet samples you can look at in shops and they were a right pain to remove as they'd started to break down and there were fibres all over the place, really very bad.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I don't have paths as my beds have been pinched from lawn, but there are two areas between my raised beds that are still covered by the carpets I used to create the beds and that must be 6, maybe 7 years ago. They are just beginning to break down, so I'm looking for ideas. I like the hardboard idea, but would it be slippery when wet? (There's a song about that isn't there?) I'm not that steady on my feet in the garden, so it must be something non-slip. I suppose I could just let the grass grow as it is wide enough for my mower.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
        I don't have paths as my beds have been pinched from lawn, but there are two areas between my raised beds that are still covered by the carpets I used to create the beds and that must be 6, maybe 7 years ago. They are just beginning to break down, so I'm looking for ideas. I like the hardboard idea, but would it be slippery when wet? (There's a song about that isn't there?) I'm not that steady on my feet in the garden, so it must be something non-slip. I suppose I could just let the grass grow as it is wide enough for my mower.
        Set some flags into the grass Flo, make them the same height as the grass then you can just mower over the top of them.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Wren View Post
          Just a trim once a month. It's no big deal.
          A trim once a month is a lot if you only get to visit your plot ~4 times a month. When I'm on my plot, trimming grass is the last on a long list of jobs.
          Proud member of the Nutters Club.
          Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiya View Post
            A trim once a month is a lot if you only get to visit your plot ~4 times a month. When I'm on my plot, trimming grass is the last on a long list of jobs.
            4 times a month?.............I'm gutted if I can't get down 4 times a week.....
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Yeah it sucks I live away during the week, and usually can only make it to the plot one day out of the two weekend days. My plants have to grow up hard and sort themselves out, and I'm trying to become the queen of mulch to win over the weeds this year. It's only a 1/4 plot but surprising how many jobs there are to do!
              Proud member of the Nutters Club.
              Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

[QUOTE=Florence Fennel;995396] They are just beginning to break down, so I'm looking for ideas. I like the hardboard idea, but would it be slippery when wet? (There's a song about that isn't there?) QUOTE]

there are 2 sides, 1 shiny finished side and a rough textured side which is what i walk on, even in the rain it's more than safe to walk on
                Last edited by The Large One; 22-05-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X