Compost types? With or without peat?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
    I always use compost with peat in find it holds the water far better than peat free. And in my humble opinion its better for the enviroment.

Here we go again.

Colin
    I don't want to kick a debate off, as like you say we'd be going there again

but I'd be interested in your thoughts on how it's better, or some citations? Curious like.

I've just bought some of B&Q peat free stuff, their new rebranded stuff - verve. Same as usual, all twiggy etc. Very dark brown though, almost black. NH or VE top the lot IMHO.

Comment

So its OK to destroy mountains and other virgin countryside but not peat bogs.
      And in my humble opinion its better for the enviroment.
      Please could you explain these statements? I've always used peat-free composts and would like to understand your objection.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
        I've just bought some of B&Q peat free stuff, their new rebranded stuff - verve. Same as usual, all twiggy etc. Very dark brown though, almost black.
        I'm just finishing my last of 3 bags of Verve peat free, having never bought peat free before. It was a bit woody, but nothing longer than 2 inches, and in general I've been very pleased with it. The plants seem to love it - nice growth, good water retaining ability (I can't water during the week, no deaths yet). I do use seed compost for seeds though, so haven't 'tested' how unhelpful it's texture is for seeds. Next year I may do that, or if I run out of seed compost this year - but I'll sieve it first.
        Last edited by Kaiya; 15-05-2012, 12:14 PM.
        Proud member of the Nutters Club.
        Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Colin, could you include links or something to explain your statement ^ "destroy mountains" etc
          Its common sense if you think about it. All peat free composts use mostly coir transported from over seas. Metal to build the ships starts with iron ore, then there is the coal/limestone etc to turn it to steel. All these things have to be mined/quarried here or abroad. The oil to drive the ships has to be taken from the ground, more steel for the equipment to do this. Add to this the risk to our seas, oceans and wildlife when its (the oil) is transported round the globe.

The Peak District has been ravaged by quarrying not just for compost I grant you but there again peat is not taken just for compost either.

And whilst peat taken takes ages to regrow from spagnum moss it does grow. I doubt very much if the hills of Derby's will grow again well at least whilst the human race is still going.

It would seem to me that wherever we turn we destroy something.

I wish there were a simple answer but I honestly don't think there is one at this time.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Its common sense if you think about it. All peat free composts use mostly coir transported from over seas.
            No they aren't. They are mostly made with municipal compost and wood bark. Hence the issues with wood bark in the mix.

Comment

Zazen

New Horizon Vegetable Compost.

List of contents as given by the manufacturer. Coir, timber residues, green waste, lime stone, hoof & horn, rock phosphate, vinasse and bonemeal.

Coir transported as in my post. Limestone quarried as in my post. Vinasse mainly a by product of the sugar cane industry. Rock phosphate mined. Main producers China, US, Morocco, Brazil, Russia, Jorden, Tunisia. Christmas Island & Nauru were producers but they have mainly mined out.

I therefore believe there are production & transport issues that need to be resolved.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

As with everything, compost or food, read your ingredient labels before you buy.

Comment

I'm just going to send an email to New Horizon asking for the sources of all of those ingredients...thanks for the heads up PTD.

Comment

Colin, sure, peat-free may not be a guarantee of sustainability, but compost with peat is a guarantee of unsustainability. My solution was to build a compost toilet and not to buy any compost. But if you're going to buy compost then I agree with rustylady.
                    Transition Norwich Blog: Alchemy

Comment

Planetologist,

My solution is to try and make all my own compost and reuse bought compost where ever I can.

I do not go out buying compost willy nilly I am to tight for that.

However they are two points to every debate otherwise there would not be a debate in the first place.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I use spent tomato grow bags from a tomato farm here in south wales - it's coir.. never really thought about it being shipped in. In two minds now really - we buy it as it is just tipped normally, and it makes a great mulch/growing medium for carrots/parsnips.

Be interested in your findings, zaz!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          I'm just going to send an email to New Horizon asking for the sources of all of those ingredients...thanks for the heads up PTD.
                          Sazs it will be really interesting to know. I am not against peat free per se. But being long in the tooth or some would say just plain awkward when ever something sound to good to be true I find that 80% of the time it is.

Look forward to reading your findings.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If they respond of course! Will try 3 times and see what I get back...

Comment

One problem with making your own compost is that you don't know the chemical composition, so it's a bit more random. As for peat, it's probably a good idea to get used to peat-free, there's been a gradual process of phasing it out, including peat sources being bought from compost manufacturers.

Comment

I think the B&Q brand peat-free is a false economy We bought peat-free from there for the school garden, and also got some 'reduced-peat' stuff with the Morrison's school gardening voucher scheme. All the stuff planted in the peat-free stuff either didn't germinate at all, or, stuff potted up into it is now dead or dying. Dunno what the chuff they've made it with, but we've lost all the brassicas, most of the chrysanthemum cuttings, all the nasturtiums and most of the tomatoes have stopped growing.

Both of these are the same variety, were sown at the same time, potted up at the same time, watered at the same time, and been next to each other in a tray under fleece. Only difference is that one was potted up into peat-free, and the other into the reduced-peat.

As long as this is the performance difference between peat-free and not, people will not be convinced to swap. We can't afford to buy New Horizon for school, so we're stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to teach them sustainability and then having plants just keel over and die
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by SarzWix; 15-05-2012, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X