Banana Shallots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
    and there's me thinking it was blowing in the wind.
    It may well be hun,but let us not forget .... There are more questions than answers
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
      Ayup Flo,I seem to think when we planted the said sets we were under the impression that they grew & split,also I am sure that A.N.Other posted that he/she had planted some wilkinsons unknown variety alongside some from a seed supplier & later in the same thread that the former were seemingly dormant & there was a lot of green shoots on the later.
      Where did the idea that banana sets were sown purely for seed come from ????
      Further to the above I did a search & found the old thread from which;
      One of my posts ............

Yesterday I was in Wilko & they had restocked,so I duly got a pkt of 10 for £2 got home & counted,there were actually 9 heyho
      Today Marshall's catalogue arrived looking at the pictures on page 12/13 from the shape & colour I would also guess we have got Jermor

text on that page,
      The shallots do not increase in size but quickly start to grow and form a cluster of bulbs to harvest next summer
      Figured out A.N.Other (^^) was Zaz ......

Further to this thread - I put 10 Taylor's shallots in, at the same time as 10 Wilkinson's shallots; and the Taylors have shooted and have lots of greenery, and the Wilkinsons ones; nada.
      Zaz again .....

Yeah, I looked about a month ago when my other shallots were - well, pushing the netting up - but these hadn't grown at all. Composted. Neighbour's too. Complete waste of everyone's money. If we could tot up all the wasted £1s eh?

The thread is found at .... too-much-information

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
        Where did the idea that banana sets were sown purely for seed come from ????
        I'm sure I didn't pluck it out of the air BB (although the senior moments I've been having lately could have me confused), I'll do little lookie.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Why are you planting them? True Banana shallots are usually grown from seed and are eaten whole.

Unless you are just weird in which case - as you were.

Our Zazzy In reply to my original post (Too much information)
          Last edited by Florence Fennel; 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Ahhh it was that young trouble maker was it so was she growing those mentioned in my quotes above for seed or for eating ??

*Wanders off bumping gums .... some women are confusing at the best of times

Comment

I actually bought them from a supermarket with the intentions of planting them but when I got home and did some reading, everything I read said they are only grown for seed and that the seed is then sown in winter for the following year............seems a bit of a faff to me but I am sure some folk do it.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

They had these in Morrisons too - they're also called Echalions UK SHALLOTS | For professional and passionate cooks | Echalion shallots

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  They had these in Morrisons too - they're also called Echalions UK SHALLOTS | For professional and passionate cooks | Echalion shallots
                  That's 'em..........I must admit they make a cracking addition to a bacon & tom sarney.........
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Well if they've raised your culinary skills to that level, I'm impressed

Comment

Well if they've raised your culinary skills to that level, I'm impressed
                      You're impressed?............I was over the moon, now I know how the cow felt.............

Comment

If you're feeling adventurous, try this recipe Beef Stifado recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food
                        Its good for using lots of small onions, doesn't take too long to prepare although a few hours to cook as it has to be done slowly, but its excellent reheated.
                        I used to make it with octopus but that may be a step too far!
                        I had a meal of this a long time ago when visiting foreign climes.

Beef Stifado is my sole reason for hunting out big shallots in the GC to plant to give me lots of small shallots!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Try it with octopus Snadge, instead of beef. I make a veggie version too with chickpeas! I'm feeling a little peckish now......

Comment

I grow the red version and the white version of torpedo onions from seed. Torpedo onions are tastier than Banana shallots (in my opinion they make wonderful sweet onion gravy)and sometimes torpedo onions are wrongly sold as Banana shallots in the shops!
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Actually, any small onion will do in a Stifado, I've used quartered biggies too when there's nothing else. Its really just to cook them long and slow until they melt into the tomato sauce.

Comment

Sounds nice! I ate loads of small cooked octopi in Sorrento, but drew the line when one dish was served with a large live octopus spread out on top of it!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X