How big do drawf French beans get?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
    I think grow in row is only for big farm that grow maybe million of plants and rows are easy to harvest with machines
    and then home-growers copy that pattern without thinking 'why'?

It might be easier for weeding with a hoe (though I don't agree with hoes ) but close planting gives you more veg and shades out a lot of weeds: the ones that do show are plucked out by hand.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

SFG you'd have at least 5, and I always sow 2 or 3 in each hole, so you could cram in loads. The only problem I'd see with over-crowding a bucket is watering.

Comment

Big drainage holes, sit it in a tray for watering!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          They're Frenchies

Wiki, this and this link have them listed under the huge umbrella that is (phaseolus vulgaris) 'common bean'

Runner bean is phaseolus coccineus
          thank two sheds... i will buy some seeds and have a go then... i just remember that back to chirsmas i decide only to grow few veggie and wait for the rest whenever i'll get an allotment but now every week i keep buy some seeds and have a go... i need to ask my neighbor if i can use his garden...
          i read that link and they ready to harvest from seeds in 4 6 week...wow is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
            they ready to harvest from seeds in 4 6 week...wow is that true?
            Sadly, no. Mine are usually 3 months, from seed to plate (more or less, others may disagree)

Comment

Sadly, no. Mine are usually 3 months, from seed to plate (more or less, others may disagree)
              Pretty much agree - the website is American so they would grow quicker in warmer climes.

Comment

I though so. Unless are magic beans lol.

Comment

They don't like the cold so don't sow too soon.

Comment

Sown my beans/peas in an unheated greenhouse yesterday, hopefully they germinate ok, I'll probably sow some more in situ around mid may for a later crop, and seed saving

Comment

Hoping to sow mine directly into the allotment. I have two varieties (Saxa and Purple Queen I think). I must admit the recommendations here are to sow much closer than I would have imagined. I may go for a bed about 4' across, as wide as my plot, and sow close together (6-9" in all directions) so there is a sea of beans.
                      "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
                      Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
                      I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by sowitgrowit View Post
                        I may ... sow close together (6-9" in all directions)
                        I sow single beans 9" apart for climbers, a bit closer (4") for dwarves

Comment

These are my current peas - originally sown into 2 large pots they were planted out a couple of weeks ago - and netted. I counted at least 35 in this 1ft x 2ft space...I need to add taller canes and higher netting as they are going to flower soon.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I sow single beans 9" apart for climbers, a bit closer (4") for dwarves
                            Thanks. These are dwarf, I guessed at about 9" in all directions as I will have a large bed rather than a row, but if you think I can go closer then the more the merrier!!

Edited for typing on my phone!
                            Last edited by sowitgrowit; 16-04-2012, 05:19 PM.
                            "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
                            Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
                            I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X