No announcement yet.

Purple Sprouting Broccoli (PSB)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You all seem to be sowing this very early! I have some 'Early Purple' and 'Later Purple' sprouting broccoli seeds from the Real Seed Catalogue both of which say to sow May or early June...
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

What a good idea to put in after the spuds, last year I didn't think of that and that bit of ground was empty for so long. I also am enjoying some PSB now, but am ashamed to admit I got fed up with it doing nothing and pulled most of it up to feed the sheep in feb - live and learn, glad Ididn't pull all of it up!

Comment

Yep,date wise it works out well with when many other veg are/can be harvested
        Just have it ready to go or even buy plugs if not organised enough...then get ready for a long wait!!
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

I was able to sow mine around July/August time last year and planted them where my spuds had been. The variety I grew is Claret which should be sown in June according to the packet.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

This is my forst year eating home grown PSB, I have a lotty bed full. Yum!! When does it tend to stop? I was planning to put my roots in after, parsnips and celeriac, but it just seems to be going on and on......not that Im complaining! Just wondering generally when it stops producing and I can whip it out! It got going quite late really, prob mid march for harvesting?
            http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
              You all seem to be sowing this very early!
              I don't sow mine until May/June either

Originally posted by mudpies View Post
              What a good idea to put in after the spuds
              You'll need to stamp the soil down though, brassicas need a firm bed. On my loose sandy soil, they always fall over in the wind, despite earthing up and stamping down

Originally posted by jackyspratty View Post
              Just wondering generally when it stops producing
              It's got a very short season, only a couple of weeks (unless you sow early-mid-late varieties for a prolonged crop)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yep I did sow different varieteies I think, but got them muddled up!!! Thanks TS
                http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

muddled? I didn't even know I had PSB this year, there were no labels anywhere. It was a lovely surprise when the sprouts appeared
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i have a problem with PSB as it gets too cold here. Last year about July I think I threw some seed in, and I do mean threw it in. The plants didn't get as big as usual but most did survive the cold, -17C. Didn't get a huge crop but I did get some. I will try the same sowing this year and because it stays small I will be able to fleece it
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Snips View Post
                      could I sow PSB after something else has been pulled...sorry, harvested...in summer, or would that be too late for a spring harvest next year?
                      My plan is to sow in a month or so and then plant out white SB, early PSB and late PSB all after my autumn sown broad beans have been harvested to give a nice little succession from (say) late Feb to late april next year.

Comment

If you want early PSB such as Summer Purple you should have put the seed down by late Feb early March. This is not sowing early it is the correct time for this particular variety. It will then produce one of the earliest PSB with a harvest begining July in some place's.

As to the length of the harvest this can vary (weather dependent) but in a good year 2 to 3 months is not unusual.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                          You all seem to be sowing this very early! I have some 'Early Purple' and 'Later Purple' sprouting broccoli seeds from the Real Seed Catalogue both of which say to sow May or early June...
                          i have rudolph - sow april to june, harvest january to march
                          i also have summer purple, sow january to march, harvest june to september
                          plus various green broccoli / calabrese ..... all year round crop!
                          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                            i have rudolph - sow april to june, harvest january to march
                            i also have summer purple, sow january to march, harvest june to september
                            plus various green broccoli / calabrese ..... all year round crop!
                            Mine is Rudolph, but with the recent snow it seems to be a couple of month behind!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I am now enjoying PSB that I sowed in june last year, in pots, then planted into my allotment in August/sept. I wont bother sowing it any earlier this year, either. I sowed it at the same time as kale, caulis and savoys which all did well.

Comment

First year I had a plot I sowed PSB. It sat in my plot a whole year and then just before it was ready to harvest, it was eaten by lovely bambi type(growllll) roe deer. Never grown it again.
                                Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 13-04-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X