No announcement yet.

Potting On Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look this chef how o does... he only use the top bit of the plant but i always use a bit more as well... is in italian but you can see the video and understand from the picture

Le Ricette di Pietro Zito: Fusilli Agricola del Sole con cime di zucchine - YouTube

Comment

Grazie mille Sarico! That looks really good. I like the thought of making full use of anything that a plant has to offer - not just the obvious like the courgette itself. I never realised that courgette leaves were edible too. Roll on courgette time!

Comment

I've just planted mine in little pots today & threw everything in the airing cupboard because my greenhouse is a bit chilly.

I'm gobsmacked to read that they grow so quick & grow so big... Doh!

Do they grow well outdoors because all my tomatoes have grown so I think my greenhouse will be full of them or can I substitute half my tomatoes to grow outside for courgettes inside?
        Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Comment

Courgettes are find outdoors after the frosts have finished. The last couple of years I've also had one in the polytunnel and it's been about 3 times the size with fruits growing as you watch! Not bothering this year as it takes up too much space that I want for other things but am confident that a couple of plants in the beds will keep me and OH amply supplied.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison, they have grown big leaves already.
            I shall plant it outside in a week or so (weather dependant) & see how I get on.
            Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Comment

I will plant them in may considered the weather is been playing games. At the end of April look like the temp will be at night time around 3-5c so I will start Harding them off. I can wait to plant everything out so I can finally see how beautiful will be my little garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolate8me View Post
                Thanks Alison, they have grown big leaves already.
                I shall plant it outside in a week or so (weather dependant) & see how I get on.
                I'm further south than you and mine won't be going outside until the middle of May. Til then, my few early cucurbits are in the greenhouse. If you do put them outside, at least make sure they are cloched and have some shredded paper or something around them to protect them.

I have now sown my mains and they are only just coming up.

Comment

I missed the bit about eating the flowers, I've done too - find it a bit fiddly removing the stamen - do the rest of you remove it?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    I missed the bit about eating the flowers, I've done too - find it a bit fiddly removing the stamen - do the rest of you remove it?
                    i always remove the stamen inside chris... specially if is the male one that when you cook it you will find pollen inside the dish... once when i was cooking a courgette risotto i forgot to remove in a couple of them and looked like i put soma safron in it... it doesn't taste horrible but you can feel it in your mouth ( kind when you eat seafood and you can feel sand if is not wash properly..

Comment

Mine are outside

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
                        when the pasta is cooked drain everything and toss in a pan with olive oil, garlic and the flowers ( if you want you can add some anchovies as well to give an extra flavour).
                        the courgette plant is good as well with chilly, capers and some hard grated goat cheese cheese (in italy is call pecorino cheese)
                        enjoy.
                        Wow- That sounds bloomin' lovely!! I will be trying that out...

Comment

believe me, once you try it next years to come you will grow extra courgette plant just to eat them... is what i do this year.. i have plenty morrison flower bucket and i will grow 6 plant just for courgette and every 2 week i sow a couple more just to harvest them when the first courgette start to grow so i can use more leaves all that tiny courgette unripped ( but stil sweet and delicius) and the courgette with flower as well... yummy

Comment

Sarico, could you post your address please, so everybody's excess courgettes can be sent to you ... instead of being left on neighbours' doorsteps in the dead of night
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

That sound a good idea two sheds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
                                look this chef how o does... he only use the top bit of the plant but i always use a bit more as well... is in italian but you can see the video and understand from the picture

Le Ricette di Pietro Zito: Fusilli Agricola del Sole con cime di zucchine - YouTube
                                I am looking forward to trying this.
                                Thanks, Sarico.
                                My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                                Revelation 22:2

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X