No announcement yet.

March outdoor sowings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1=ok i have got strawberries growing well in unheated greenhouse would it be to early to plant them in a raised veg box under a cloche in the garden yet ?

2 = feanch beans getting big on window in doors is it to early to put in garden or unheated greenhouse ?

3=sow tommy seeds and doing well when can they go in unheated greenhouse ?

my chillis are doing very well so i need to repot them soon 4 diffrent types hopefully get 2 x ltr ice cream tubs to freeze like last year:cool

hope you are all having fun and any other veg that can be started now please let me know in the way of carrotts,salad onions, rads, lets, rockets as i siad when i jpoin am very new to this only grown chillis befor . may thanks Si

Comment

as a exphotographer this image is really good it reminds me of some of the fashion stuff i use to do

Comment

Braving the weather at the moment:

I've got broad beans outside braving the elements (and doing OK!) and some small strawberries which may or may not make it - I'm hopeful.

Also outside in paper pots in propagator bottoms (no lids) are onions grown from seed - they are a few inches tall; shallot sets are in the ground in a south-facing border.

Red Acre cabbages are an inch tall in peat pots though I was a little disheartened to read the rubbish opinions of peat pots. I plan to grow these on in florists' buckets - one in the middle, and may transplant them soon.

I have beetroot seedlings and perpetual spinach in 3" pots (would beetroot grow ok singularly in 3" plastic pots for the duration of their life? I appreciate that they may be miniature beetroots in a restricted environment but I'm struggling for ground space). These pots are indoors in a SW-facing shed windowsill with reflectors behind.

I haven't dared sow any peas, beans etc, even indoors or under cover.
        "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
        Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
        I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

carrots, radish, let's and spring oinions can be sown now. i thinkm you've started your french beans a tad early - they are supposed to go in around mayish - so they may get a bit leggy, same wit your toms, however im going to put mine in this week - although your not supposed to!

as for your strawbs im not sure, but mine got hit by frost last year and finished them off, so id keep them in your greenhouse if youu've got room!

Comment

There are strawberries that have been covered with fallen leaves over winter and have been fine in all conditions - the small ones were a cheap buy from Aldi that O/H potted up a few weeks ago - they seem ok though we did have a little bit of frost/sleet recently. Maybe they were hardened off, maybe not. I will see but may move them inside if I can make space (no greenhouse - just a work bench in front of a window in the shed)
            I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by sowitgrowit View Post
              Braving the weather at the moment:

I have beetroot seedlings and perpetual spinach in 3" pots (would beetroot grow ok singularly in 3" plastic pots for the duration of their life? I appreciate that they may be miniature beetroots in a restricted environment but I'm struggling for ground space). These pots are indoors in a SW-facing shed windowsill with reflectors beh.
              they would be better of in troughs as there is more space to grow,
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I thought I may be cramping them a little - however I don't mind them small as I'd like to try pickling for the first time (also the reason I'm growing red cabbage).

I might invest in a couple of the long oblong planters and go for it that way... Thanks for the advice
                I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
                  carrots, radish, let's and spring oinions can be sown now. i thinkm you've started your french beans a tad early - they are supposed to go in around mayish - so they may get a bit leggy, same wit your toms, however im going to put mine in this week - although your not supposed to!

as for your strawbs im not sure, but mine got hit by frost last year and finished them off, so id keep them in your greenhouse if youu've got room!
                  right am going out to sow my carrotts,salad onions, rads, lets, rockets today i think i will but them under a cloche also got my wormery up and running so should get some LIQUID gold worm wee to feed my veg also going to get some early nettles i found to make nettle tea feed
                  Last edited by simongimson; 07-03-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                    they would be better of in troughs as there is more space to grow,
                    Well, further to my post of only about an hour ago - I just went and fetched two troughs from Poundland. Only small planters due to the limited space I have available, but certainly better than 3" pots (I hope!).

How close would you recommend sowing? Also, I've ready conflicting advice about thinning - some seem to say just leave it and the beetroot will shove each other out of the way, some thin to one seedling in each space. If you grow in multi-purpose compost in a trough, what do you do?

Sorry for pestering
                    I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

When I used to grow only in pots and troughs I'd sow my beets in paper pots then plant them about 2inch apart.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I thought I may be cramping them a little - however I don't mind them small as I'd like to try pickling for the first time (also the reason I'm growing red cabbage).

I might invest in a couple of the long oblong planters and go for it that way... Thanks for the advice
                        Dont forget you can also pickle them sliced...
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dawnh View Post
                          Mine too!! Already had a request to 'get my baps out' while I was planting out onions and strawbs today!!!! Serves me right for wearing a scoop neck t-shirt!!!!! (I live on the A629, very busy!!!!).
                          Sounds about right for round here DawnH - I'm not so very far away from you

Comment

How close would you recommend sowing? Also, I've ready conflicting advice about thinning - some seem to say just leave it and the beetroot will shove each other out of the way, some thin to one seedling in each space. If you grow in multi-purpose compost in a trough, what do you do?

Sorry for pestering
                            i would usually sow a few beetroot seeds to a module under cover, then transplant the whole module (containg about 4 plants) into a hole around 3 or 4 inch apart you could try it like this, however if i where you id plant a single plant about 3 inch's apart as it may get two cramped doing the previous method.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X