Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

container gardening... what to grow and how...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're growing in containers, I would definitely recommend investing in some kind of saucer to go underneath, to water into. It will save you time, and the plant stress.

I get mine (gravel trays) from Wilko in their autumn sale, but I've also used dinner plates from charity shops.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Saucer's are great if your plants are under cover, but be aware if your plants are outside. During a prolonged rainy spell (HaHa) the saucer's will remain full of water and this could drown your plants.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Of course, you can go round and tip the water out of your saucers

What else do we have to do with our time, sow more seeds?

Comment

With you on that one 2Sheds. I made the point because I watched my neighbour new (new to gyo) kill 5 toms I gave him last year. Someone had quite rightly pointed out to him that saucers were a good idea but they had not warned him about letting his plants sit constantly in water. By the time I had twigged what was happening it was to late.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I thought about saucer but what you guys think of this self watering container? Is the same principle of using saucer but inside the pot. Even if the pot has hOle on the side to avoid to drown your plant is the bottom bit that is inside the water will damage root that grow in that bit (i think they call wick I'm not sure)?
            Anyway that carrot look lovely to my and I'll try some this year then

Comment

Hi Sarico
              I too cut the top third off grow bags then I stand 'em up in a fairly tall laundry basket.I grow cordon toms like Gardeners Delight and Roma Plum. 2 to a basket with a trellis at the back.I usually get a great crop from each plant.
              I also grow Orange Baby Sweet Peppers and Tumbler Tomatoes and Riot Chillies in hanging baskets. One plant per 12 inch basket lined with polythene (carrier bag) with holes stabbed in the bottom.Feed as per PTD's advice.I use grow bag compost in these.
              I also grow courgettes in Morrisons largest flower buckets (8 for 99p) I grow 5 Garlic in same size buckets interspersed with radishes for a fast crop.Also in the buckets I grow 6 Mangetout Peas up a tripod of canes.A bit of running round my garage roof in high winds but hey that's the joy of garage roof container gardening.
              I grow all sorts of lettuces , wild rocket, mizuna,pea shoots and herbs in window boxes
              Hope you have a good season Sarico and remember PTD's very sound advice...
              keep it simple

Glenda

Comment

hi guys i was looking in my seed box and i found some leek... as i read that almost enything can grow in container any advice how to grow them?
                if this year i will succeed in my garden is thanks to all of you...

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
                  any advice how to grow them?
                  The packet should tell you ...

Comment

Having struggled for years with poor carrots in my heavy soil I tried them in flower buckets last year. They performed so well that it became difficult to remove individual carrots because they were wedged in so tightly. Must sow thinner this year.

Comment

Hi
                      I'm trying growing in containers again this year and have started with some cheap troughs from Wilcos.
                      I've put 2 half bricks in each one and stood some seed trays from the 99p shop over them to make a water resevoir below the compost. I've sunk a couple of perforated plastic cups filled with compost trough the seed trays to act as wicks to bring the water from below, then filled the trough with compost which gives a soil depth of about 7".
                      Pushed a 1" plastic pipe down to the bottom to fill the resevoir (takes about 5 litres of water), and drilled a little hole 2" to 3" from the bottom so that water trickles out when it's full.
                      Hoping that this will cut down a lot on the watering this year.
                      I've planted spinach in the first one, each seed about 4" apart in a grid. I'll let you know if this works.

David

Comment

hi newto this i made a selfwatering pot that i will use as hanging basket for my front door... i'm not sure if it work because i touch the soil and it didn't feel that moist...i put 6 litre of soil and i put the water throught the pipe until water come out the side hole and after 1 hr i top up and it only absorbed 200ml of water... maybe is right considered that there are only seed in the basket...

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
                          Must sow thinner this year.
                          Hi Rana don't sow thinner just pick lovely young carrots earlier to thin them out.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Sarico,

If there is no plant in the basket to take up the water then the usage will be quite low and if there is only seed in the basket you don't want the compost to wet otherwise the seed could rot.

With regards to your leeks you would need a fairly deep container to grow full size leeks but I grow them in a 6" deep container and harvest them as baby leeks. I sow fairly thickly so that when the leeks are about as thick as your thumb they are nearly touching each other.

Colin

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
                              ..i put 6 litre of soil and i put the water throught the pipe until water come out the side hole and after 1 hr i top up ... there are only seed in the basket...
                              6 litres of soil for one seed?
                              That's a bit generous. Sow your seed (I'd do two in case one dies) in little pots. As the plant grows, you pot it into a bigger pot, and so on until it's a pretty big plant and can go in your basket.

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              you don't want the compost to wet otherwise the seed could rot.
                              Yep, and the soil will be boggy and stinky before too long. Then it'll get fungus gnats and algae and allsorts

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                6 litres of soil for one seed?
                                That's a bit generous. Sow your seed (I'd do two in case one dies) in little pots. As the plant grows, you pot it into a bigger pot, and so on until it's a pretty big plant and can go in your basket.
                                sorry guy but when i spell i forgot the plural and some english grammar ( i'm italian and i still have some problem in english). i bought from a shop this seed disk that you put in a basket put 1 cm of soil on top and then just wait for the different flower to come up and if it look like the picture on the packet it look wonderfull on the front door...

colin thank you so much.. again an other help so i will try to grow leek in my pot deep 10'' and then i prefer baby veg then full size because i think they taste better and you don't have to wait so long.
                                then i think you can harvest some so you live space to the other to grow... am i right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X