No announcement yet.

New Poll! Who do you garden with?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost always go up to the allotment on my own, with just the dog in tow. My daughter is 'too cool' to go up to there these days, though she quite likes the modules sown at home where she can see quick progress.
    I much prefer to go up there on my own if I'm honest - it's a few hours of time for just me, away from the demands of the world and society. It's the area where I can make all the decisions, figure out solutions and sit and plan what I am doing next. That wouldn't be so easy with a ten year old in tow The dog doesn't cause any trouble in that regard
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I teach organic gardening so it's nice to sometime garden alone for a change.

All the above for me; for 'other' I garden in schools, colleges, with other gardeners, youth groups and community gardens as well as alone at the plot and home, or with the other half at home...he is allowed back at the lottie now that I've forgiven him for hoeing my newly planted leeks...it took a while though.

Comment

Setting up my new plot this past year has meant I've needed quite a bit of help with things I'm not physically capable of. My 21 year old son started coming up just to do some of the heavier manual stuff, but now comes along to some of the plotholder meetings, and likes to be consulted about plans for the plot too. He says he feels more of a sense of ownership because he has put a lot of work into it.
        Its been a tough year for him, and I think going up there has given us the chance to discuss his options and helped him make decisions in a less confrontational way than might have been achieved at home with other members of the family around. Sometimes I have asked for help with a job I might have managed for myself when I've noticed him drawing into himself too much and I feel he could benefit from a chat.
        Last edited by BarleySugar; 21-02-2012, 10:09 PM.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I normally end up going with my dog ( who love playing with my chickens and ducks )
          If my 3 year old boy is home he will have to come up to help out where he can (mostly collecting the eggs and dropping them )
          Please see my photos

Best wishes

Comment

Just me and the slow worms and the birds on the plot - and there are usually other plot holders around on fine days.
            At home I have a multitude of cats that like to come and chat in the garden Sadly they are not very sociable with each other but they are usually very polite with me
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Like a lot of others I see gardening as 'my time'. Just me the plants and the wildlife.

I do however see an old friend who is also a keen gardener once a week, where we sit in the pub and put the world to rights over a couple of pints.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

On my allotment, I mostly work on my own. Mainly because it drives me potty when someone comes to 'help' and then spends all their time wafting around and doing nowt, or else being 'booorrrred muuuuum'. I do also run the veg garden/gardening club at the local primary school though, so that's a couple of hours a week with 2 groups of 6 ten year olds. Strangely enough, they never complain about being bored, and spend their hour working their socks off

Comment

I like to garden on my own and enjoy the peace and quiet, the views of the fields and cows around me, listen to the birds and just generally drift off into a world of my own. I do have help from the chickens sometimes, although I've discovered they like to eat the worms best of all, and leave the slugs eggs alone!
                  sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

When I first got a plot, I shared it with a neighbour/friend. We had totally different ideas and styles though, so we quickly divided the plot in half and did our separate thing.

I've been told my style is untidy/messy/disorganised/weedy/weird, so I doubt anyone else would want to share with me. My OH has zero interest in gardens, unless they have a large-screen TV in them.

I run a gardening club at school and have 12 little monsters in my charge. I wince as they trample on the soil (the worms!); drop seed everywhere; pull up flowers not weeds; splash water on foliage; scream at bugs (!); refuse to eat any veg that we grow ... but they're getting a taste for gardening, wildlife and nature, so I am pleased enough with that.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I garden with my other half, we tend to split the labour. I usually to do all the planning (what's going where and needs sowing when), potting on and transplanting, and generally taking care of the plants, while he does most of the digging of new beds, turning compost, building any structures and mowing the lawn.

Then when our parents come to visit they set themselves to doing any pruning or weeding that needs doing (we don't ask them to, they just go off and do it!)

Comment

I've always gardened at home on my own but when I got offered a plot OH thought that it would be too much for me on my own so we asked a friend of mine. In theory she was very keen but hadn't got the time or commitment to help and I ended up getting exasperated with her which could have broken our friendship. I like to be organised and wanted to be self sufficient in veggies whereas she wanted a nature haven she could pop to now and again but with a large family she wasn't able to get here enough to keep on top of it. As a result I'd leave crops for her to harvest (as we were supposed to share) which then got wasted and I got annoyed. Since then I've done it on my own and love it, OH comes and helps with heavy things like helping to assemble the polytunnel etc and fixed me some posts for the fan cherry and damsons I'm training but otherwise it's mine, all mine and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My boyfriend and I have a large plot it is quite nice to work with each orther but it is big enough to find some space as well
                          Originally posted by Nikki Arnold View Post
                          Whether you're someone who enjoys working the veg plot alone, a team player in a growing club or community group, the type that launches a weed attack as a family event, or the person that is brave enough to get digging with the other half, we want to know who you garden with most and why?*

*Please note that comments may be edited and published in the May issue of Grow Your Own.

Comment

I do my allotment alone. My girlfriend keeps telling me that she will do some work there at some point, but that point has never arrived. She's supposed to do our front garden at home too but she never does that either. lol

Comment

I work on our allotment alone. I'd like to work with my Dad - many hands make light work and all - but our days off work don't match.
                              Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                              Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

on my own definately where I can plant things in straight rows without fear of recrimination from Mr Piggle - he's arty and likes randomness whereas the thought of that much choas makes me wince!
                                Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X