No announcement yet.

Mulching...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mulched a heavy clay couch grass covered lotty for 2 years now. We dug out as much weed as we could first. Then covered with cardbaord (Halfords! as suggested!) and layer with anything really depending what we can get. Used coffee grains from coffee shops, used tea leaves, grass clippings, Shredded paper from a friends office, leaf mould, compost, chopped seaweed after trips to beach (rare!) next doors chicken bedding. As said we just add as we get it.

The couch grass roots are weakened (akin to spaghetti!) due to no light (thanks zazzy!) and the soil becomes rich and crumbly. I tend to start crops off at home and then use a bulb planter to plant through the layers. I do this this due to time available and a bad shoulder which prevents digging.

We also did this at our school group, and created a soil that was likened to chocolate cake when dug into !!

First year we had fantastic crops, last year not so good, but I had a and op that prevented me from ding much at all. The school groups first year was fabulous!
    Cant reccommend it enough!
    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Another mulching tip arrived today by email….
      Good one for Snadger I thought as avoids black polythene:

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      A freshly turned over plot is an abomnation to the eye as far as I am concerned!
      There's only one thing worse and thats a plot covered in black polythene!
      Each to their own tho.............................
      About Gardening: Planning the Garden
      From Marie Iannotti, your Guide to Gardening

Gardening Tip of the Week
      Free Plastic Mulch: An old plastic shower curtain works great when put down as a mulch before planting tomatoes, to keep soil from drying out. -- Submitted by Carol

Thank you to everyone who has shared a tip. Keep them coming!

Half a dozen different shower curtains along with my bits of patterned carpet and a couple of advertising hoardings, the place will look a treat.......

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
        An old plastic shower curtain works great when put down as a mulch before planting tomatoes, to keep soil from drying out.
        If it's clear plastic it will act as a greenhouse, really great environment for the weeds, and slugs love it too

Cardboard is way better, imo.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          What does the Beano use....................
          Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
          Another mulching tip arrived today by email….
          Good one for Snadger I thought as avoids black polythene:
          An old plastic shower curtain works great
          Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          If it's clear plastic it will act as a greenhouse, really great environment for the weeds, and slugs love it too
          P'raps a variety would look best?
          Attached Files

Comment

The Psycho one is the best, BB! He's poised, with his knife, just waiting for those slugs to appear.
            Then along comes Dennis the Menace with his catapult and fires the survivors into next door.

Comment

I think there are two ways to look at mulch really. One is covering, as suggested, using synthetic materials such as carpet and plastic etc. This can aid warming the soil and water retention. However it will add nothing to the soil long term. We have banned use of carpet on our allotment for many reasons but a couple are, they are very slippery in the winter, also when someone moves on the next tenant has the horrible job of trying to remove the carpet which is often embedded. The second form of mulching, also helps water rention, suppresses weeds and warms the soil, but also improves it by adding various organic matter.
              I much prefer covering with paper or cardbaord and mulching with good stuff on the top. The veg will smile at you if you do! Trust me!!! I got this advise from Twosheds and zaz!!

Also shifting wet carpet round is a heavy job! cardbard and paper are easier on the old backs!!
              Last edited by jackyspratty; 17-02-2012, 02:26 PM.
              http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I'm just so itchy to get up there and mulch!
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I really want to have a go at this too, but I never have enough green waist or leaf molds

Comment

ask your neighbours for theirs. If councils are going to start charging to dispose of green waste, they might let you have theirs for free
                    Or they might let you have it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by super trowel View Post
                      I never have enough green waist or leaf molds
                      I get a sack of leaves a day from my local cycle lane (lined with trees see). Strapped on the rear rack, biked home then stored beside the wheely bins for a year. I have between 30-50 at the mo, haven't bothered to count them

Comment

I reckon I have about thirty but I stopped collecting a while back. I got some weird looks but you get used to it. Only problem is the cheapo bags I got are all splitting. They aint gonna last the year let alone another. I do resent spending a lot of money on bin bags, although the charity ones that get shoved through the door seem to be holding out.

Comment

Originally posted by super trowel View Post
                          I really want to have a go at this too, but I never have enough green waist or leaf molds
                          Get friends in on it. I've got people saving me newspapers, rabbit and guinea pig poo/bedding, grass cuttings, coffee grounds and veggie peelings for the compost. (I gave up my dignity long ago )

Also, try asking in coffee shops for their grounds. Find a farm that sells bales of straw...can't remember if our local one is £1.50 or £3.00, whichever it's next to nothing when I consider it gets used for the chooks and will then go on beds.

I'm yet to check with local breweries for spent hops.

Also, we never leave the beach until we've filled at least four carrier bags with seaweed...stinks on the way home mind

Excited about mulching...moi?
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                            the cheapo bags I got are all splitting.
                            Really annoying isn't it, esp. when they don't even last the journey home. I'm going to make a note of the ones that last the year and stock up on them for next.

Old compost bags are strong but I don't get enough of them

Comment

Originally posted by di View Post
                              Get friends in on it. I've got people saving me newspapers, rabbit and guinea pig poo/bedding, grass cuttings, coffee grounds and veggie peelings for the compost. (I gave up my dignity long ago )

Also, try asking in coffee shops for their grounds. Find a farm that sells bales of straw...can't remember if our local one is £1.50 or £3.00, whichever it's next to nothing when I consider it gets used for the chooks and will then go on beds.

I'm yet to check with local breweries for spent hops.

Also, we never leave the beach until we've filled at least four carrier bags with seaweed...stinks on the way home mind

Excited about mulching...moi?
                              Maybe I should try Coors and Marstons. Never thought of that!
                              Talking of leafmold, I have a garden full of oak leaves again :grr: blown in from next door.
                              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                Really annoying isn't it, esp. when they don't even last the journey home. I'm going to make a note of the ones that last the year and stock up on them for next.

Old compost bags are strong but I don't get enough of them
                                Yes very. The charity bags are ok but they're not big enough. I had to recover a pile of leaves that had somehow made it out of the bag (that was weighing down cardboard on one of our beds) on to the neighbours plot. I think I might make a bin. I have some chicken wire left over...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X