No announcement yet.

Have bulbils, what do I do with them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting,i get elegpant garlic bulbils,have tried to get them to grow for the last 3 years and zilch,this year i got a lot,after a google,they are beezzzz to get to root,as they so tough,had some in mods since last year zilch,put some of thid years straight into mods as i got em from the plant/ground zilch,a few others i got in steeping in water,it has made the hard skin come of some,BUT,i must remember to actually plant them in compost,having read this thread,i will do so then place on the radiator for hear and see,i know not a related bulbil,but,several years ago i repoted a lilly and found it teeming with them,they were just put in pots and bingo,i now have several clumps,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

An interesting article How To Grow Garlic From Bulbils

Comment

Growing garlic from bulbils

I grew supermarket organic garlic and the first photo shows 3 heads with the flowers and bulbils. On 8th October I scattered the bulbils on a seed tray, lightly covered with compost. Today, 23rd October, some have rooted and sprouted
        Attached Files
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-02-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

the bother is,elephant garlic,well mine anyway,have never grown any pouches on the stems,with little bulbils,like regular garlic does,they develop around the bulb it'self under the ground,and are a realy tough exterior,all soaking in water does,is loose a coat of skin,and the next is still tough,i give up now,
          well done VC,
          Last edited by lottie dolly; 23-10-2012, 11:00 AM.
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Never grown elephant garlic Lottie, so I don't know what it does. I have some cloves to start this year so fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Never grown elephant garlic Lottie, so I don't know what it does. I have some cloves to start this year so fingers crossed
              are they garden centre ones

Comment

From T&M, Lottie

Comment

Just checked my bulbils from home grown garlic, and nothing yet

Comment

Needs a lot of space as it has a huge footprint.............
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      But think of the manure..........

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

I plant mine 10 to 12 in apart in all directions,funny things,the first time a saw them come up,i thought bloomin nora,thems tulips lol,i now know different,so don't expect to see bits of grass like greens VC ,the flower head is the same,if they start bolting,do the same as with other alliums,have fun

Comment

Looking forward to it, Lottie I seem to be going through a strange allium phase

Comment

Growing garlic from bulbils

An update on Post 18 !
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1049187

Lots of tiny garlic plants have germinated
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-02-2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

An update on Post 18 !
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1049187
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]33622[/ATTACH]
                              Lots of tiny garlic plants have germinated
                              This thread seems to periodically revive itself with the latest chapter on Unlikely Alliums….. Here we have the latest on Babingtons from Bulbils, the Walking Onion (that’s gone no-where…), the Everlasting Onion (oh yeah? not with me looking after it but at least it’s made it through the Winter) and the Welsh Onion (I think that one’s a cheat bought from Pennards, my ones from seed are looking too frail to withstand flash photography!) Please note the grit as a tribute to Carol Klein who seems to put it on and around everything, seems to work! At least in the corner of a cold greenhouse they’ve made it through the dark days and look quite perky, do I now thrust them out into the real world of storms and slugs? Will they survive the shock?

I was intending to add Wild Garlic to the collection – I should be able to find it in a ditch but don’t really know what I’m looking for….. There’s a good herbalist in the local Farmers’ Market and last autumn I asked him if he had any and he said “Oh no you’re too late!”, so on Saturday I asked him if he had any and he said “Oh no you’re too early!” Is it wild gold-dust I’m trying to find? Is there seed, bulbils, ransoms even…. (sigh) why is life so complicated? Just thought to add some Wild Garlic (which won’t be remotely wild because it will be in the garden, Domesticated Wild Garlic).... What with Walking Onions, Walking Stick Cabbages and Singing Tomatoes (I made that one up) there’s never a dull moment....

Attached Files

Comment

OK, I'll play catch-up too - but without the piccies. The 2 year-old Babington that flowered has split into 2 new leeks. The bulbils that I had at the same time (exactly a year ago at a Seed Swap event), are up and outside in flower buckets, with some smaller ones still in the GH (no gravel)! I put most of the new bulbils into the Exotics seed swap but have a few more to sow now.
                                I have some walking onions, planted last year, Elephant garlic sprouting in the GH and outside, 2 Potato onions about to be planted,, the garlic bulbils have been split and potted on, Welsh Onions grown from seed, garlic chives and ordinary ones and a garden full of 3-cornered leek! If you'd like some for your collection PM me and I'll dig some up for you.
                                I keep growing these but never eat any - except the 3 cornered leek

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X