Polytunnel and Now a Greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
    the annual rainfall on the area of a polytunnel must be significant if only it can be collected....
    The best place to store water is in the soil if possible. Make the soil absorb & save more water by adding liberal amounts of humus (rotted compost/manure).

I use upturned one gallon water bottles to water into. I wonder if you could sink a load of them under/beside the polytunnel, so the rain is directed into them and into the soil. A trench all the way round?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      The best place to store water is in the soil if possible. Make the soil absorb & save more water by adding liberal amounts of humus (rotted compost/manure).

I use upturned one gallon water bottles to water into. I wonder if you could sink a load of them under/beside the polytunnel, so the rain is directed into them and into the soil. A trench all the way round?
      Yes, good thinking 2S... I've seen your water bottle tip before and I successfully used it last year with courgettes and marrows, good one. But you still have to collect the water to pour into them!

So your idea is the rain runs down the OUTSIDE wall of the tunnel and then somehow gets directed INSIDE (my allotment is on a gentle slope so worth pondering how that might be possible...) Land drains reversed?

I've just written to one of the polytunnel companies to see if they've any (polite!) suggestions.... I can well imagine some less than polite ones....

If they come up with a good one I'll put in on here.

Comment

Seen this?
        Heres an innovative way of collecting Rainwater from your Polytunnel « Polytunnel Gardening

Comment

Thanks VC. I notice the daughter has a duck too! (Plastic one, very sensible.) I suspect the longer-term snag with any fixture to the side is that strong buffeting and winter freezes etc (and my loti is quite exposed) will soon compromise the cover. I notice one of the illustrations in your reference has side ventilation... I think that's the Haygrove model I saw demonstrated at the Lincs Show which has a roller gadget down each side (each side? one side? can't remember...) which might offer a means to collect rain.... (Unfortunately it's one of the most expensive on the market duh!). I suspect the problem is that when it rains you're supposed to wind the sides DOWN whereas to collect the rain you'd need to leave 'em UP. But you don't need to collect stormy Winter rain when the sides would def need to be down and secure or rather than a tunnel you'ld have a kite....

Can't be insoluble, am keen to find the answer!

Comment

BB When you said you'd be getting ducks next I didn't realise you meant plastic ones!

Comment

rather than a tunnel you'ld have a kite....
              SUDDEN THOUGHT: Maybe that's the solution, if it blew away I wouldn't have to worry about watering it, problem solved!

Comment

Just like Bradlo's greeenhouse http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ses_62964.html

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  BB When you said you'd be getting ducks next I didn't realise you meant plastic ones!
                  LOL.... Thought it would be easier. I have got some plastic flowers, very convincing, can you get plastic veg to dig up and from a distance annoy your neighbours....? Prize Parsnips.... Easy! Carrots....? Not a carrot fly to be seen....

Comment

I tied plastic roses to a bush in winter once, to annoy my neighbour who worships his roses. I knew that he wouldn't be able to tell whether they were real or not from that distance. He eventually asked me about them and I was forced to confess!

Comment

I don't know how big your shed is but may I ask if you ever go to the lottie and find your butt overflowing. The reason I ask is that the amount of water runoff during a rain storm is immense and I am wondering if extra storage might help.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        That's a good idea, VC, a polytunnel without the poly, perfect, then rain can get in no problem.... And in fact without the tunnel too coz above the ground. Problem solved! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          I don't know how big your shed is but may I ask if you ever go to the lottie and find your butt overflowing. The reason I ask is that the amount of water runoff during a rain storm is immense and I am wondering if extra storage might help.

Colin
                          Good point Colin, it's a small shed and last summer was so dry it didn't keep one butt full (until of course I didn't need it, then it overflowed...); and I've a couple of dustbins on standby and a small butt for comfrey tea so storage is less of a problem than getting the darn stuff there! But I agree a shed (or greenhouse of course) can gather a lot.... I'd really like to try the tunnel because I've never done that and they seem SO productive once in operation... I think I've got to somehow use the slight incline of the allotment to advantage but can't quite think how to do it.....

Comment

So your idea is the rain runs down the OUTSIDE wall of the tunnel and then somehow gets directed INSIDE
                            Not quite: it runs down the outside walls, into a trench which is lined with one gallon pots, thereby taking the water deeper into the soil.
                            The water doesn't have to be directly under the polytunnel for the plants to be able to access it: it just needs to go nearby

Comment

Would experienced grapes put a polytunnel (or greenhouse) on an allotment that has NO DIRECT WATER SUPPLY
                              This book, Gaia's Garden, has some really inspirational stories about veg gardens in desert conditions, well worth a read (order from your library?)

Other desert gardening books are available, but that's a great book.

There's some technical info here that you might be able to make use of on a small scale: rainwater harvesting in Tanzania
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

ps Alison, is your battery timer one of regular ones available in garden centres for fixing to taps?
                                Yes, it's a Hoselock one which I got when B&Q were selling it off cheap because it had battered packaging.

I'll try and take some piccies of the watering system this weekend if I can brave the cold so hopefully it'll make more sense than my wordy explanation

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X