Broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Bl@@@y Mice!!! I'm overun with them this year!!
    Thats probably the only good reason to have numerous cats roaming my garden living next to a field like we do.
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

broad beans

To get the best start with broad beans is not to sow direct in the autumn.

Collect toilet roll inner carboard tubes fill with compost sow the seed a quater of the way down from the top lightly water and place on a seed tray in a unheated greenhouse or windowsill

By the time you plant out the roots are down to the bottom of the tube and have a health start.

Transplant complete with tubes in feb / march when the magor frosts have gone and they will overtake all pre-sow autumn plants..

The tubes will rot down over the year with no effect to the plants..
      Last edited by zazen999; 30-01-2012, 08:27 PM. Reason: removal of link
      do a little every day...
      keep it organic and taste and see the difference..

http://allotmentveggrower.blogspot.com/

Comment

Everyone who's "lost" them ~ have you had a rummage down in the soil to see if the seed is still there?

You may find:

- it's rotted
        - it just hasn't germinated yet
        - it's vanished (mice)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Will do when the rain stops! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks TS

Comment

I'll be starting my broad beans off in the safety of the greenhouse in pots.

Comment

Had a rummage but couldn't see anything
              Thought could be mice but surely 4 packs....I would have thought the odds were on my side for at least one to get missed and germinated even if some had got munched/rotted/bad seed

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Everyone who's "lost" them ~ have you had a rummage down in the soil to see if the seed is still there?

You may find:

- it's rotted
              - it just hasn't germinated yet
              - it's vanished (mice)

Comment

I'm not particularly keen on broad beans, but I found a few in the bottom of my seed box so bunged them in the ground in November. Looked yesterday and they are about 6" high and looking healthy. If I remember rightly they were Sutton. My friend always sows hers in the Spring and they catch up with the winter sown anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much.
                Last edited by Florence Fennel; 30-01-2012, 07:49 AM.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  they catch up with the winter sown anyway
                  There's only about a fortnight difference in harvesting, it's true.

The main benefit of winter sowing is that the plants are tougher and very much less appetising to the blackfly
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamo View Post
                    I'll be starting my broad beans off in the safety of the greenhouse in pots.

make sure you cover them up or mice will still have feast,in the warmth and shelter of the green house,the bring their mates in,lo
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                      make sure you cover them up or mice will still have feast,in the warmth and shelter of the green house,the bring their mates in,lo
                      I've never had any problems with mice in my greenhouse thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        The main benefit of winter sowing is that the plants are tougher and very much less appetising to the blackfly
                        Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                        Thankfully I've never had a problem with either blackfly or mice - loads of other pests though sadly

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Today I just checked the ones I was chitting in the airing cupboard, and they have varying levels of rooting, so I potted them all up and tossed them into my little unheated, plastic covered grow-house. Hopefully they will not be put off by the chilly temperature and continue to develop ready to plant out in March.
                          - I was quite chuffed as there were a few that were well past their best before date, and others that I got last year so are still within their ideal sowing time, and most of them chitted beautifully. So much for out of date seeds.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Broad bean seeds last for ages, grew some about 10 years past their sell by a few years ago with almost 100% germination - which was rather more than I was expecting so I did have a lot of beans that year as I can't throw them away when they've made the effort to grow

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                              Today I just checked the ones I was chitting in the airing cupboard, and they have varying levels of rooting, so I potted them all up and tossed them into my little unheated, plastic covered grow-house. Hopefully they will not be put off by the chilly temperature and continue to develop ready to plant out in March.
                              - I was quite chuffed as there were a few that were well past their best before date, and others that I got last year so are still within their ideal sowing time, and most of them chitted beautifully. So much for out of date seeds.
                              Do you (or anyone else) suffer from the lack of light at this time of year? I don't want my broadies getting leggy and weak (some of my other early efforts look like they are struggling and spindly).

Is it worth waiting for spring to be a little more... sprung?

I have half a dozen sown at thw moment but will obviously want more than that in the longer term!
                              "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
                              Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
                              I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

I have two sowings of broadies on the plot- Aquadulces that were sown as per advice from Dave The Old Boy On The Plot on November 14, and some that predated this by a few weeks as they were sacrificial beans for an aminopyralid test for some new pony poo. The pony poo ones are taller (4-5 inches) but I have 4 almost perfect rows of 2-3 inch high seedlings from the November sowing. No idea why- apart from giving them a good serve of bonfire ash in December, I think I read somewhere that they liked it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X