• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PRESERVING CHILLIES

You can preserve chillings by bottling them the same as jalapinos
    use jars or small bottle shaped jars.
    sterilize the jars
    use white vineger bring to the boil in a saucepan with 20% water a couple of spoons of suger to sweeten,

allow to cool slightly

place the chillies in the sterile jars

You can cut up into slices or cut the tops and bottoms off the chillies to allow the mix to preserve them..

poor the vineger mix into the jar and fill to cover the chillies add the lid...

leave for approx 3 weeks before being preserved lasts approx 3 - 6 months
    once opened store in the refriduator..

we grew jalipenos for 2011 and they were hotter than any store bought goods ....blew your socks off
    Last edited by zazen999; 30-01-2012, 08:27 PM. Reason: removal of link
    do a little every day...
    keep it organic and taste and see the difference..

http://allotmentveggrower.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DGoulston View Post
      HaHa I just jinx'ed my self.

Just had my lunch. a nice "Char-grilled Pork with Jasmin Rice" from a Vietnamese cafe in the city.
      brought about 7 frozen ones (defrosted) for me and my colleague who enjoy them with lunch, had 2 of my chilli's and they were very very mile. so bit straight into the 3rd and my tongue is still on fire! haha that will teach me

D.
      Did you really take your own chillis to a restaurant as a side dish? That's a true chilli head for you......where else do you take them to snack on?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I've not noticed any difference with frozen ones either to be honest. Also have been munching on cayennes from my garden outside, nice and fruity on the tip - getting cocky I popped the whole thing in my mouth. I suffered.

Live and learn!
        Last edited by chris; 30-01-2012, 07:50 AM. Reason: lack of sleep ;)

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
          I've not noticed any difference with frozen ones either to be honest. Also have been munching on cayennes from my garden outside, nice and fruity on the tip - getting cocky I popped the whole thing in my house. I suffered.

Live and learn!
          Why would you be putting chillies in your house?
          Last edited by rustylady; 29-01-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I don't think they're cayenne either. I've looked and looked for a stumpy variety of cayenne, but they all seem to be tapering, long and thinnish.

Anyway, as to the heat: Factors influencing the heat of a fresh pepper include temperature, hours of sunlight, moisture and fertiliser. I find that autumn makes the chillies milder, even on a plant that's previously produced hot chillies
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I froze a load of cayenne chillis in sept/oct and have been using them recently. I am convinced they have got hotter and one in last nights stir fry was more than enough.

In the summer I got into the habit of tasting a small bit of each chilli before using in cooking to judge how many to use as there seemed to be a wide variation in heat. All of the ones we have been using from the freezer recently seem to be hotter than when fresh and I also think a slightly different taste.

Comment

The tip is the mildest part
                To truely test a chilli you should break in half and touch to tounge or lip or as you tried munch the whole thing

Originally posted by chris View Post
                I've not noticed any difference with frozen ones either to be honest. Also have been munching on cayennes from my garden outside, nice and fruity on the tip - getting cocky I popped the whole thing in my house. I suffered.

Live and learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
                  Did you really take your own chillis to a restaurant as a side dish? That's a true chilli head for you......where else do you take them to snack on?
                  lol, never to a restaurant. haha but to take away places with seats we do take them sometimes.

I would love to know what these chilli's are now, The packet defo said Cayenne so I am really lost!
                  Chilli Grower
                  mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
                  +----------------------------------+
                  | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
                    Did you really take your own chillis to a restaurant as a side dish?
                    I take my own chilli sauce sometimes: it's because chefs think vegetarians like really bland, tasteless food. I don't.

Comment

I guess they could be these:

Pepper Cayenne (Chilli) F1 Apache - Vegetable Seeds
                      Chilli Grower
                      mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....

Comment

Could be.

Looking back at your photo, your chillies look more pinky orange than a nice ripe red. Perhaps they weren't ripe so weren't hot? How did your dried ones taste?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Could be.

Looking back at your photo, your chillies look more pinky orange than a nice ripe red. Perhaps they weren't ripe so weren't hot? How did your dried ones taste?
                          That photo does make them look lighter than they are, about 10% are not brilliant red, but most are.
                          I have not tried any of the dried ones yet they are still glamouring my wall! lol.

Chilli Grower
                          mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X