Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a quick question about onion sets in modules...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    An onion set will usually put down roots before making leaves, so if you plant them out with a decent root system they should start making leaves that little bit faster..............
    Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    I bung them in a seed tray, shoulder to shoulder and still get loads of roots.
    Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
    all you do is ease the mat of compost and roots out your tray,then gently tease apart,do not panic if a few root bits break of, it's the norm)
    Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
    Do the same general ideas apply to leeks and chives though, presume so ?
    Roots.... In the case of leeks there's many claims on the Internet that TRIMMING the roots to half-inch (2 cm) when planting out leeks (and some also advise to trim lanky top-growth as well to 3-4 inches, 8-10 cm) leads to faster and sturdier growth (not as far as I'm aware for show leeks but kitchen use). This seems to fly in the face of common sense and logic but the reason evidently is that pruning stimulates growth....

Presumably this tactic doesn't work with onions or shallots? Has anyone tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
      Roots.... In the case of leeks there's many claims on the Internet that TRIMMING the roots to half-inch (2 cm) when planting out leeks (and some also advise to trim lanky top-growth as well to 3-4 inches, 8-10 cm) leads to faster and sturdier growth (not as far as I'm aware for show leeks but kitchen use). This seems to fly in the face of common sense and logic but the reason evidently is that pruning stimulates growth....

Presumably this tactic doesn't work with onions or shallots? Has anyone tried it?
      i usually trim roots and tops of leeks,but this year will not,am also going to just dibble the plant in as opposed to making holes,then maybe bank them up as they grow,to blanch them,ONIONS/SHALOTS,no,haven't tryed it,but why grow all the roots,then chop em of,you defeat the object,same with the top,when think about things,1 develps on the top,the other under ground,mostly,just my way of thinging and observations,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X