Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a quick question about onion sets in modules...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like a typical teenager TS

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

The trick is to get as many green leaves as quickly as possible to help in getting a decent crop.
      An onion set will usually put down roots before making leaves, so if you plant them out with a decent root system they should start making leaves that little bit faster..............
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well that is an education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the advice, I always thought onions were a bit boring, but think there is a challenge to be met from these clever vege!!. Now to sow/set!!
        passionate about plants

http://escapetotheallotment.blogspot.co.uk/ Check out my new blog...

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Comment

this is what happens underground before the green shoots appear
          Attached Files
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

well in the spirit of scientific endeavour I've randomly planted half the sets in modules of MP compost and half are nestled on a seed tray as a control group. I'll let you know if there is a significant difference in their performance in 7 months or so

Comment

Wow, huge root system. so I guess small pots better than small modules?
              passionate about plants

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Comment

Originally posted by gardenpassion View Post
                Or tall home made paper pots/tubes?
                Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Originally posted by gardenpassion View Post
                  No - they will be fine in either - as I said earlier, I bung them in a seed tray, shoulder to shoulder and still get loads of roots.

Comment

I do the same as Zaz by the sounds of it, I use a old fruit trays from the market lined with news paper and filled with MPC with the sets side by side, I start my shallots off the same, I'll probably start mine at end of the mouth or the beginning off Feb and put them in the greenhouse with some fleece over them, worked well last year in the blow-a-way..
                    Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                    Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                    -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

all you do is ease the mat of compost and roots out your tray,then gently tease apart,do not panic if a few root bits break of,it's the norm,with a trowl plant out,
                      you can do beans the same way to,only leave aprox,2ins apart,soooo much easier,if weather dry,do not forget to water them in,i find it better to dig the hole,put plant in,water,then cover up,so you trap the moisture under ground,but only if the soil is dry below,sometimes gardening is like being a new mum all over again
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

yes, I agree, completely nuturing nature!! Love it
                        passionate about plants

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          No - they will be fine in either - as I said earlier, I bung them in a seed tray, shoulder to shoulder and still get loads of roots.
                          Further to this just found a photo of the same in pots....

Comment

Ah, thats helpful, many thanks.
                            passionate about plants

Comment

I started my Japanese onions off in those 1 inch modules (36 to a tray I think) - smallest modules you can get and they LOVED it. I was actually worried they'd over done it and wouldn't last winter once planted out, but so far they're tolerating the cold clay and subzero temps, although something has nibbled the tops of a few. I did shallots and garlic the same way, any random pot or old seed tray, bung them in. I even have garlic growing at two levels in a deeper pot (thought I might as well try it) - garlic bunkbeds.

I like the shoulder-to-shoulder idea - I'll use that next year rather than use a module if they don't care about modules. Save the modules for more sensitive individuals.
                              Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                              Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Interesting thread !! Have some sets bought, although I do need more so will purchase soon, particularly shallots I am thinking!!
                                Do the same general ideas apply to leeks and chives though, presume so ?
                                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X