Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lunar Planting - what have you grown today?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checked in to say still on the synodic so rest/maintenance week this week despite wanting to sow some more peppers as last lot a bit disappointing (begining to think my seed storage might be at fault although hard to see why).

Doing lots of digging although it's freezing. Good thing is that after 12 mo under plastic and cardboard there are almost no weeds left (growing) and only found two grubs and no slug eggs so far. Will lime when the wind drops and hope for a nice shower of rain. I'm hoping that a good dig this year followed by lots of crops, mulching with nettles, manure and green manure will mean that's it and I can let the soil get back to it's own structure. It's way too solid to just plant straight in.

Weeding in the tunnel - deffinitely spring when the pineapple weed starts trying to take over.

Nothing green and leafy until Tuesday and starting to run out of space in the tunnel as way too cold for outside planting also way too dry.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Yesterday and today, all in modules or seed trays/hanging mushroom trays.
      Oriental salad leaves
      Lamb's lettuce
      Basil - cabbage leaved and ordinary
      Chervil
      Brussels sprouts - Seven Hills
      Daubenton Kale
      PSB - label says very vigourous
      Autumn Cauliflower - Sicilia Violetta
      Cauliflower - All Year Round
      Autumn Broccoli
      Cabbage - Greyhound.
      Camomile - lawn
      Tree Lupin

Planted out early sowings of chervil and spring onions in PT. Potted on a couple of slightly leggy BNS. Dug up French Tarragon from PT bed and potted up.
      Last edited by marchogaeth; 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
        Planted out early sowings of chervil and spring onions in PT. Potted on a couple of slightly leggy BNS. Dug up French Tarragon from PT bed and potted up.
        Oooops! Still a bit of top growth won't hurt them!
        I think I migt have to crack on the potatoes before next root week as well or it will be so late. I tell myself I only do this for the routine structure it give sme but it's very hard going against the grain.
        Last edited by marchogaeth; 13-04-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• I feel the same way. I pricked out the celeriac yesterday and I'm biodynamic sowing peas and beans as we speak on the allotment!
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
            I feel the same way. I pricked out the celeriac yesterday and I'm biodynamic sowing peas and beans as we speak on the allotment!
            Who you speaking to on the allotment?

Comment

• The plants as Mr VVG says enough to everybody else for the two of us!
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• I forgot that yesterday I sowed my parsnips - biodynamic. I also planted some tree onions.

Comment

• Sown more parsnips and turnips today.

Comment

• Sweetcorn, summer and winter squashes, curcurbits and forgot beans...poop!

Comment

• Sown seeds of Piacenza Savoy Cabbage, Cavolo Nero Kale and basil in pots.

Comment

• Lancashire Lad and Robinson peas. Beth Alpha cucumber, Boothbys Blond cucumber, yellow zucchini, Hinrich's Riesen DFB, Corsican Runner Bean, Yings Lablab, San Antonio CFB & Blackpod Runner Bean.

Comment

• Right, well owing to so many cr@ppy things happening I have fallen off the waggon big time. I have however, bitten the bullet, forced myself to plant things on rest rest weeks, planted and sown roots on leaf days and even put beans in when I didn't know what day it was (wasn't a bean day)! I hate it, the plants never feel like they are doing as well as they would otherwise - the Delinel are sulking and I've yet to see if the parsnips even deign to germinate.

However, the good news is that, because I was so overcome, I stopped and took stock and, thanks to good old Lunar Planting and the poly, I could just plant out all my brassicas yesterday, nice big healthy plants that were started in January and February and I could decide I didn't need to sow anymore this weekend.

So I had time for bed making and maintenance and time to think about what else to grow in what is turning into another disappointing start to the growing season. I have no hopes up for chillies and peppers although I did get a couple of really nice looking aubergines from a charity garden sale last week (don't like buying in). If the worst comes to the worst I will plan for a dramatic overwintering exercise (kids are leaving home - two bedrooms free term time at least )Tomatoes will get there eventually so I'm looking at what else I can grow to keep us fed but without giving up entirely on the hot stuff.

So by fruit week (Thursday onwards) I could be eligable to post here with a clear conscience.

Comment

• Well that didn't work did it??

However, this week "Not a good week for sowing anything". I can manage that and then next week I can be on the leafy stuff for later in the year.

Comment

• Hello. I'm very interested in this, but one thing is bugging me. Given this info:

>>Synodic:
                              Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground, eg. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts.

Biodynamic:
                              Moon in Capricorn: This is an Earth sign. It is a good time to sow Root plants eg. Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Leeks.<<

- it seems to me that different systems suggest you do different things on what is effectively the same day. That being the case (I may have misunderstood), and there being just the one moon (I;m pretty confident on that one ), where is the logic? How can it be a good time to plant roots AND leaves, according to two different systems? I do like the idea, but before I give it a go I need to lay this one to rest! In the meantime am slowly working my way through all the posts *grows old*.
                              Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

• Hi Thelma. Which book is it you're using? Thank you
                                Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X