No announcement yet.

How do I make a garden?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the ground hasn't previously been used for vegetables, there should be no need for a green manure crop. For sure, best to dig our perennial weeds but the annuals can be skimmed off and put to the bottom of each trench as you dig. For me a full spades depth(a spit ) is plenty for most veg.

Comment

First I think you need to plan what is going where. Presumably the whole of the garden won't be vegetables. Some pictures of how it is now would be good.

Comment

From what I can work out the ground has never been used for anything. Although on a closer look seem to have thousands of bluebell bulbs in it. Not sure if these are the good ones or not but have a feeling I shall be looking at them for a long time.
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

if you can, make your veg beds as far away from those tree roots as possible. They really do suck all the moisture from the earth you really will have to feed and water more than you do on root free soil!

It all became clear to me when I finally had an old cherry tree cut down

If you find roots when digging you may as well work round them, if you cut them...they just grow a bunch of new ones at that point, and sometimes they sucker as well, so you don't win.
          Good luck!

Comment

Thats what I thought, but the tree is huge and it will be a professional and expensive job to get it down. Not sure if I would need permission to take it down??
            Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

You could ask a master gardener (i.e. garden organic volunteer) to help you out:
              South London |  Find a Master Gardener

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X