No announcement yet.

Tomato frame success

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I know just where to get the wood to make a nice wee frame like that...it'll match the "goalposts" frame I am planning to build for my runners next years just braw !
    (I've never successfully grown a tomato yet. This year I came close - if I'd had this frame up against my house, I reckon I might have gotten more than just flowers.)
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

This looks a brilliant idea and I will give it a try.

One question please - I am not clear whether or not the polythene rests on the leaves of the tomato plant at any point - if so does this cause any problems? (Is that two questions?)

Could you protect the sides and front for the first few weeks after planting out? (Sorry another question)
      Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
      Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Originally posted by singleseeder View Post
        This looks a brilliant idea and I will give it a try.

One question please - I am not clear whether or not the polythene rests on the leaves of the tomato plant at any point - if so does this cause any problems? (Is that two questions?)

Could you protect the sides and front for the first few weeks after planting out? (Sorry another question)
        I'll draw a pic - the polythene doesn't touch the leaves and the plants are covered from planting through to final harvesting. Hang on, I'm just about to have my dinner....

Comment

This looks good Zazen and I will experiment with this next year - any chance you could post some pics please or I could bring the coffee over and take notes
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Blue pipes go over the whole thing - purple represents the poly.
            Attached Files

Comment

Perfectly clear now, I imagined the polythene laying on the strings. Thanks

Roll on next year.
              Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
              Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

I actually saw a frame today in the garden centre at work that would do the job perfectly, if I see one on offer I might get it and try it out.

Comment

Bumping this as I've posted a thread about growing toms on a blight prone sight. This looks like the answer.

Zaz is it just the one row of plants or can you have two rows in a sort of A frame configuration with the two rows meeting at the top under a tunnel of polythene. Or is it better to have other plants growing under the toms on the other side of the tunnel.

I'm so excited about this idea and as I'm not very tall might try making it between 4 and 5 feet high.

Comment

I'm growing mostly bush tomatoes this year (since inexplicably I appear to have 200 seeds of them) - I'm thinking I could make something about 4' tall for them, no staking. I won't be able to do the watering from the outside though, but perhaps some strategically placed sunken bottles would work.
                    Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                    Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                      Bumping this as I've posted a thread about growing toms on a blight prone sight. This looks like the answer.

Zaz is it just the one row of plants or can you have two rows in a sort of A frame configuration with the two rows meeting at the top under a tunnel of polythene. Or is it better to have other plants growing under the toms on the other side of the tunnel.

I'm so excited about this idea and as I'm not very tall might try making it between 4 and 5 feet high.
                      I had one row but that was to grow underneath. But this year I am doing something slightly different. I am growing straight in the ground, with no frames at all [not even on vines] and just making sure that when I plant the plants, they are almost horizontal with the root ball at the side of the bed and the top of the plants pointing into the middle. Then I'll cloche leaving 6 inches at the sides of the beds open to the elements [so that just the foliage is cloched] and then I can feed and water them without removing the cloche.

Comment

Ok. I think I'll just go with the original plan which excited me.

What you just said was gobbledigook to me. It sounds like the vines will be lying on the ground and the cloche will be about 12 inches high which I'm sure is wrong.

I have to walk before I can run after all.

Comment

Well, think of it as being like the frame you mentioned, without the frame. So yes - lying on the ground. It's just that I grew vine toms in the ground with no frame at a place in Coventry last year and got more toms from 4 plants than the whole of my greenhouse collection.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            I had one row but that was to grow underneath. But this year I am doing something slightly different. I am growing straight in the ground, with no frames at all [not even on vines] and just making sure that when I plant the plants, they are almost horizontal with the root ball at the side of the bed and the top of the plants pointing into the middle. Then I'll cloche leaving 6 inches at the sides of the beds open to the elements [so that just the foliage is cloched] and then I can feed and water them without removing the cloche.
                            Am I right in thinking that the toms will just be laid on the ground or do you put straw or something underneath when they flower as you would strawberries. Just trying to get my head round it.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Straw, grass, cardboard - just to stop the slugs from munching them.

If you look at the pic, which is my mulch pic - in the bottom you can see my tomatoes grown 'on the ground' - they just rambled and the only issues were some were eaten by slugs and during late sept the plants got blight. But I got absolutely tons from these 4 plants.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by zazen999; 11-04-2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Cheers Zaz, just as I imagined.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X