No announcement yet.

In Praise of Kale

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love kale! I sow the seed in the ground when I have a space and it really looks after itself. Love cavolo nero (black Tuscan) for the upright way it grows and the dark leaves.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Cavalo Nero for me too. Love the stuff! Didnt grow enough last year but have LOTS this year. Cant wait for my first helping - fried off with some garlic and bacon.Yum.

Comment

Hello SmallBluePlanet,
        I'm trying Spigarello myself from seed this year, but so far have not very impressive seedlings...at all...are you going to plant it this year? if so let me know how you get on!

Comment

Jelliebabe, personally I find the loo rolls brilliant for beans...

Comment

I'm growing kale 1st time this year(Pentland Brig),got the seeds from a guy in the village.
            Jelliebabe,brassicas like cooler conditions,firm,slightly alkaline soil and nettle tea-my brassicas are growing like mad after drinking some nettle pong

Comment

I don't start my variety of Kale off until July - got more room to plant it up then!
              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Jelliebabe, meant to say that it's not too late even now for kale I think...definitely worth a try. I have a few teeny seedlings just hatching right now...

Comment

I always grow the full size curly kale rather than the dwarf................simply because you increase the amount of greenery you can harvest from a given area!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My kale is lush and I don't think the slugs like it which is a bonus.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I've made the mistake of growing my Kale under a hooped cloche that isn't tall enough.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I did the same last year The moment I took it off, overnight I had hundreds of CWB eggs all under the leaves, grr!

Comment

But - a nice way of eating kale - espeically the curly types is to lay it out on a baking tray, drizzle a bit of honey on it and grill it. It goes crispy, like seedweed / veg crisps - really nice A bit of a different green to have with your meals!

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                            But - a nice way of eating kale - espeically the curly types is to lay it out on a baking tray, drizzle a bit of honey on it and grill it. It goes crispy, like seedweed / veg crisps - really nice A bit of a different green to have with your meals!
                            Sounds good Chris..............I might just give that a try!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

1st time grower of kale im trying frosty and red russian
                              my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

I'm still harvesting shoots of last seasons kale that I've been saving for seed -all the flowers I needed have been pollinated ages ago and they're just waiting for the seeds to ripen up and dry a bit. I'd be harvesting loads of it if I didn't already have cougettes, calabrese, peas, beans etc.
                                Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X