No announcement yet.

That darn cat

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cats will usually only poop on bare soil - once your plants are growing they go somewhere else. Always try to keep your earth covered, either with plants or with netting

I don't hoe or weed maniacally like my neighbours do, I only clear ground when I am going to immediately plant it up again
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This year I commenced Operation Spiky Fence:

I've seen only one since I put this on every inch of fence around the garden. It's not completely cat-proof, but they certainly don't like it.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I have the same problem, the border i've dug with a small (6 inch) 'fence' around is contiunally being knocke over. Thankfully there's some signs of flowers coming through so that shoul start putting them off as for various reasons i simply haven't the time atm to sort out netting and what have you. annoying though!

Comment

I was told that the secret to stopping cats coming into your garden is to make it really hard for them to get out again. If they struggle to get out they will think twice about getting in.

This year I have mader frames to go over all my raised beds, old wood and chicken wire, its quite good looking for a novice. They really do not like walking on wire mesh.

Other than that I have tried the 'pee off' plant but I found I needed a plant everywhere or they would just find a spot with no plants ang go there.
          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Thanks all. I'll get going with the advice.
            And I'm sure the kids have a super-soaker somewhere! :-D
            Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

I live on a road with about a million moggies . I was sitting in the garden the other day enjoying a mint magnum and a cat sauntered in, looked warily at me and then proceeded to crap in the bed next to where I was sitting. I've never seen a cat move so quick when I ran at it.

Normally I get success from pepper dust but you do have to reapply when it rains.
              Visit my blog if you dare! www.gardenofheathen.wordpress.com

Comment

Cat report as of 23:21
                No sign of the moginator as yet.
                Now have a curious hankering for a mint magnum.

I wonder if the punk feels lucky?
                Especially with ne having the most powerful ice lolly in the world.

Did I eat five or six? In all the excitement I can't remember.

(help! The pressures getting to me!! Need sleep!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                  I will now also plant lots of lilies.
                  What is the reason for the planting of lilies? The pollen of lilies is extremely poisonous to cats, if they get it on them and then groom it off, it will do fatal damage. This is obviously far beyond what we would recommend as a deterrent, and quite possibly illegal if done deliberately.

Lily poisoning in cats | Vet Help Direct Blog
                  Last edited by SarzWix; 02-05-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

old dried tea bags sprayed with ralgex (muscle spray) are a good deterrant (I can't stand the smell either)are reasonably shower proof and compost well too.........................or try land mines!
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                      I was told that the secret to stopping cats coming into your garden is to make it really hard for them to get out again.
                      Lol, that's reminded me of an Auld Boy up my old site. He was really, really hacked off with the cats cr@pping in his veg plot, so he constructed a bunch of net round the place. The cats still got in and left their dirties.

So he sewed up one end of the netting and most of the front end. Cat still got in to poop. However, it couldn't find its way out again and Auld Boy happened to be there at the time. A full can of water went over cat who couldn't get out of that netting quick enough - it was drenched and very cross

I can't say if it worked as a deterrant though.

I chase cats out of our garden but they still come back. Particularly unpleasant is the one that's crapping in the kiddies' veg patch. I've lifted the dirties off the lettuces more than once. There's now 5cm netting over the lettuces and its managed to drop a dump through the holes. All the French beans bar one have been scratched out. I've now got a bunch of canes balanced on top of the bed which rattle and roll around if touched.

You can get done for letting your dog poop all over the place, but cats are exempt, I don't really understand why. You have to carry poop bags for your dog, so you should have to provide a litter tray in your garden for your cat
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-05-2011, 07:24 AM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The problem round here is not the cats... its the cat owners.

They are the ones that need pepper spraying ,soaking with water, what ever.

They stuff the food in at one end of the cat and dont care where the moggie goes for it to come out the other end.
                        I don't believe that they are so gullible to think that a cat doesn't crap so they obviously know that their darling little 'Tibbles' is dumping somewhere.

Not once have any of the cat owners round here bothered to knock on the door to inquire if their little darling is causing offence/problems.

They obviously dont give a damn that some other poor smuck has to clean up after the disgusting creatures. (Unlike all the responsible cat owners on this forum )

Comment

I suppose because cats traditionally roam where they like, whereas dogs don't. And even if you put a tray in the garden, there's no guarantee the cats would use it.

I have four cats. Indoor cats, so I know MINE don't poop on anyone's vegetables lol but there are lots of people who think this is cruel, so cat owners can't win, basically.

I hate to feel people would want to poison cats for doing what comes naturally. And yes, other people's cats do poop on my beds occasionally, I know its frustrating. Deterrents by all means, but this side actual cruelty!

Comment

My cats have 2 places that I know they use in my garden, behind trees in both corners - I deliberately dump my spent compost there for them to use. I have no idea if they go in anyone else's garden, but have had a word with my nearest neighbours and offered to buy them SuperSoakers specifically to use on my cats. They declined, so I assume they aren't causing a problem...

Comment

I now have netting over all my beds. Took a bit of doing. Expecting to hear howling soon from the darkness as I'm pretty sure the moginator jumps onto said beds from the fence and I envisage the mother of all tangles!
                              The kids are quite gutted that I'm not going down the super-soaker route.
                              I on the other hand am not. I'm too easy a target.
                              Last edited by mrpaulbradley; 03-05-2011, 11:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

rose bush cuttings, holly etc...worked very well in my front garden flower beds...until they started just going on the grass bold as you like!! (My neighbour has 13 cats!!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X