No announcement yet.

Rhubarb is Flowering!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like the seed. I'm neither cutting or pulling!

And yes, I do normally pull the stalks. I've just ordered a Stockbridge Arrow from Brandy Carr nurseries, with a 2 year-old liquorice.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Don't bother with the seed, it never comes true, or hardly ever. Root division is the way to go. And yes I tried it when I poo pooed someone else that said the same thing I just did

My newly divided crown, all 3 new crowns flowered this year, their first year FGS. I've given up the idea of dividing every few years, or when they flower, I reckon it's a waste of time, unless you want a new plant.
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I sowed rhubarb seed this year, none of it germinated
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Let me see how clear I can make this:

I want the seed. I don't mind if it comes true or not. One of our Australian friends has requested Timperley Early seed on the swap board. This is Timperley Early. It is going to make seed. I will post it to him, import restrictions permitting.

If anyone has previously saved rhubarb seed, could you advise me on how best to do so? How will I know it is ready? Is it easy to collect? Do I need to dry it or anything?

Thank you all.
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

"While it is possible to save rhubarb seed, they do not produce plants that are true to type. In other words, the plants that are produced may or may not look anything like the parent plant. It is best to take cuttings of a favorite plant."
            Growing Rhubarb

"I really wouldn't bother with the seeds. As Suzanne Ashworth says in her wonderful book Seed to Seed, saved seeds do not come true to type" http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthread.php?t=500

sorry
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-04-2011, 06:34 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The seeds aren't for me. The recipient doesn't care. I'm going to save the seed, if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                The seeds aren't for me. The recipient doesn't care.

In that case why not just send some carrot seed ?

Or maybe swiss chard would be better ?

Last edited by teakdesk; 28-04-2011, 09:48 PM.
                The proof of the growing is in the eating.
                Leave Rotten Fruit.
                Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
                Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
                Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Last year 2 of my rhubarb plants flowered, and I thought I'd let them get on with it as they were all quite new. but this year 3 out of 4 are flowering and flowering and flowering despite vigilant cutting out of flowering stalks! The non flowering leaf stalks on those plants don't have much rhubarb flavour either. The 3 which are flowering are all Victoria and were sending up new leaves all winter as well (see my photo). The other tasty healthy plant is a donation from another allotment holder who was bored of rhubarb (sounds impossible I know).
                  I'm seriously thinking of digging the Victoria up and replanting another variety in the autumn. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Comment

Let me see how clear I can make this:

I want the seed. I don't mind if it comes true or not. One of our Australian friends has requested Timperley Early seed on the swap board. This is Timperley Early. It is going to make seed. I will post it to him, import restrictions permitting.

If anyone has previously saved rhubarb seed, could you advise me on how best to do so? How will I know it is ready? Is it easy to collect? Do I need to dry it or anything?

Thank you all.
                    You're really not listening, it won't make anything like Timperley Early plants.

But if you really want to do it and make someone is Australia grow a plant for a year or two and take up a whole load of space, for something that won't be what he thinks it is.

I don't know how you get true seed from a rhubarb plant, but I suspect it will involve netting over the same type of plant while they are flowering.

If you let it continue to flower then it will also sap strength from your plant, for no good reason.

If you are going to continue to do it, then you just pick the seeds when they are ready, but at least tell this person that they are open pollinated seeds and could come up as any type of rhubarb.

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                      You're really not listening, it won't make anything like Timperley Early plants.
                      It's not me that's not listening.

I know rhubarb seed doesn't grow true to type. I've already explained that I intend to save it, regardless of how many times people repeat that there's no point. The seed is for someone else. They want it; I can let them have it. It makes no odds to me what grows from it, or whether it even germinates at all. I may be fortunate enough to receive something of use to me in exchange.

But if you really want to do it and make someone is Australia grow a plant for a year or two and take up a whole load of space, for something that won't be what he thinks it is.
                      I'm not making anyone grow anything. That's entirely their choice. I am merely assisting them in their choice of action. They are also aware that it does not come true. It isn't my time that might be wasted.

If you let it continue to flower then it will also sap strength from your plant, for no good reason.
                      I am sure my rhubarb will cope with the production of a few seeds. It's a tough plant. I've seen my dad's rhubarb reappear after being bulldozed and having a garage built on it. I'm going to let it flower, I'm going to keep picking it, then later in the year I'm going to divide it, and I'll probably still force it again early next year. I'll let you know how strong it is.

If you are going to continue to do it, then you just pick the seeds when they are ready...
                      Now we come back to my original question. How will I know when it's ready please?

Comment

I know rhubarb seed doesn't grow true to type. I've already explained that I intend to save it, regardless of how many times people repeat that there's no point. The seed is for someone else. They want it; I can let them have it. It makes no odds to me what grows from it, or whether it even germinates at all.
                        Just a note to remind myself not to swap seeds with you in the future

Comment

Just a note to remind myself not to swap seeds with you in the future

All I can do is my best to supply what has been requested in the best condition I can. Presumably though, you wouldn't ask for rhubarb, so don't cross me off your list just yet, eh?

Comment

It's a well known fact that Rhubarb seed may not be true or as pure as the parent plant, but it's certainly not a major problem in growing it from seed as many Rhubarb plants get grown by seed, here anyway.
                            I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

It's easy to grow from seed, I've grown several.

Comment

let it flower, then when you have seed pods, they look like three-sided paper encrusted seeds, cut off the spike, let it dry a bit more, then shake or pull them off into bags.
                                I did it, I've grown it, as I had no idea what type it was, all I knew was that it had been there for 20 years, I didn't much care what type it was, so i sowed a few, they germinated.
                                They're currently romping away in a different garden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X