No announcement yet.

To buy veg plants or veg seeds ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually end up buying brassica plants because the only seed I've had success with is kale. I do sow the seeds every year and this one is no different, but as an example out of a sowing of about 40 AYR cauli, I have 5 plants and they don't look too sparkling. Needless to say, I've got some plants on order!
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I mainly sow seeds. But it really is a case of whatever suits you best. I work in a garden centre so sometimes its just the case of having no will power
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Seeds for me, mainly due to pricing but I also enjoy the feeling that you have taken something from seed and grown it onto fruiting. Also some of the veg you see in the shops (e.g. 10 pea plants for £2) well i need a lot more than 10 peas! I also grow about 40 toms and that would cost me about £40 from the shop. Final reason is I can stagger my sowing, I only use 2 lettuces a week max as I grow cut and come again alongside, therefore i sow abut 6 lettuces every fortnight and just plant the amount i will be needing rather than having 12 come at once.

I have bought in the past and certainly think for people with limited space that plants can be a more viable idea.

steve

Comment

I do both , but am so disorganised that I often end up buying plants because I have left it too late

Comment

Originally posted by wetwalnut View Post
            I

I have been working long hours and been unable to tend to seed sown plants az much as I should.

I do realise that the varieties are limited but from what I've seen available as plants seem worth the money.

What do you all do ?
            I grow from seed but like you say you've been too busy lately so buying plants might be your only option if you want to make use of your land.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I grow from seed because I have the time. But I have and no doubt will again bought plants.
              Do what suits you best with the time and money you have available.
              Last edited by CaroltheCarrot; 21-04-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Mostly seed for me. I just like the challenge and choice from seed. Also cheaper (can reuse the compost and trays etc year to year). I do buy plants on occasion ie this year got a few peppers and a chilli from b&q because mine all failed.

Some things are just way too expensive as plants - a strip of carrots (maybe 20) for £1?? Cheaper to just get em in the s'market! But people must buy them I guess.

Comment

Seed for me.

It's more fun, and
                  cheaper; and
                  I get the varieties I want.

So far I've always been able to catch up/replace when something fails, or just gone without. Maybe in the future I will buy plants.
                  Last edited by Loudbarker1; 21-04-2011, 09:47 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

One of the reasons why I have such an embarassingly large seed stash is that I buy the seeds but somehow I'm not organised enough to sow them when I should. So I end up buying as well.
                    Buying plants allows you to try things out - seeds are more for things you know you want.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I sow 99% from seed as I find that I can grow the amount I want of the varieties I want that way. However, if I need any fillers then I will buy the occaisional plant but that's about it. I grow a huge number of things but often only a few of each so buying plants which usually come in set amounts wouldn't really work and it's so much easier to try things from seed as you know 100% what conditions it's had.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ok, thanks for all replies.

I will continue to grow beans, peas, carrots, parsnips and salad stuff from seed.

But will consider growing sprouts, psb, calebrese, kale, celeriac, cauli, sweetcorn, peppers and especially cucumber and celery as plants next year.

I don't really have the proper growing conditions or time to get the best of the above from seed.

I have a greenhouse but will consider a polytunnel next year to help grow seedlings and home cucs and toms.

Comment

Do whatever is going to get you to continue to grow your own. Most of mine is grown from seed though I do use onion sets and buy flower plug plants. On the other hand my daughter only uses plants as she doesn't enjoy the faffing around (as she calls it) as I do. Mind you if she was near enough no doubt she would be getting the plants from me.

Ian

Comment

Started everything from seed this in my first year of growing my own. The onions were sets though but I think that still makes me a seed-man Next year will definitely be seed again but a lot less. I accounted for loses this year but through the help of peeps on here i've only seen a loss of 10% to failed germination. This had meant 5 windowsills being used for a month to 50 days in February and March but its been worth it so far.

The problem with starting from seed is the addiction you get from collecting seed packets. I need to stop as i have far too many for next year let alone any more for this year yet i was annoyed today for leaving two vouchers at home for free cucumber seeds, i don't even want to grow cucumbers lol.

All my family have commented on how "i must enjoy it" with regards to the sowing of seeds and looking after the seedlings and its true. If i didn't enjoy looking after them in their early stages there's no way i would start from seed again but i found it quite therapeutic if that's the word.

As for time, i work full time and am out of the house for over 9 hours each day, granted some shifts are earlies so i'm home for 2pm but don't be put off if you think time is an issue. The seedling stage in my opinion isn't as sporadic as it is to when they are plants in warmer weather. Seedlings require very little fuss and in my way of thinking has been the warm up session in readiness for the summer marathon.
                            www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

After my 'i'm a seed only man' comment yesterday I popped into B&Q and they had reduced veg at 50p. The iceberg lettuces looked excellent to I bought them and bunged them in!

steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X