Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potted some Roma and Milla tomatoes into their final sized pots. Placed them on top of the water buckets underneath.
    I haven't watered them at all in the hope that the roots will go down seeking this water. I still have some in smaller pots, ie the one in the foreground, to be done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sanjo; 02-05-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Brought everyone out of the greenhouse for a breath of fresh air and to begin the "toughening up" regime.
      Mowed the meadow and used clippings to "earth up" the spuds.
      Cut a big armload of comfrey and put to brew..
      Ditto nettles and Sticky Willy in different container...Should I just bung 'em all in together?
      Gotta go back up in a min and put everyone back in!
      When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

• Potted on all my Chillie Habs. Not too keen on the compost from Wickes this year, there seems to be a lot of straw-like stuff in it. We'll see.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Planted out a couple of 5ft rows of onions grown from seed, also planted three 5ft rows of spring onions in the same bed along with two rows of alto beetroot.
          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

• Weeding, weeding and yet more weeding at the allotment after work. Early evening was the nicest part of the day though it was reasonably enjoyable and I've now got a 4 foot X 12 foot bed ready for planting!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Too bladdy wet to do anything outside (again)

Comment

• Sowed some F1 Kestrel and Detroit beetroot.
                Sowed some Hollow Crown pars**ps
                Sowed some Snowball turnip.
                Sowed some Ramosa calabrese.
                Sowed king horn wax beans in modules.
                Sowed some Alderman peas.
                Sowed Kohl Rabbi.
                Transplanted some lettuce from trays to beds.

Busy day!!
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

• Nothing yet and the days half over! Still it might be warming up out there now. -2C overnight last night and we were just back from a long trip to see family, so my excuse is that I'm recovering - and acclimatising, the temperature change is huge!
                  Planning to take the dogs for a long walk on the fire trail. Maybe, just maybe get some spraying of weeds done if it's not getting too windy. And then get some more wood in, clothes on the line.
                  And survey the damage from last nights frost, with a glass of red to cheer me up. Ali
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• repotted basil and coriander. sowed hyssop, dill, cucumbers, artichoke, red basil and PSB. I think the runners will have to wait til next week, I cant find anymore space for them til I evict the sweet peas!

Comment

• Covered my sweetcorn,toms,chilli's and ghrkins with polystyrene foam as its supposed to drop to minus 3 tonght!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Last two warmer days saw some plants cooked in greenhouse -oops!. Last night watering both toms and basil back but not sorrel. Hadn't been able to water cos of work.
                        Pot up basil today and 100/1000 toms
                        potted on lemongrass v slow growing not enough light/exhausted compost. grit mulched
                        Transplanted flag iris from some thrown away at work.
                        Running out of GH space so planted out two hestia seedlings under cloches and kept two in GH
                        bought Peiris plant
                        earthed up Charlotte pots
                        potted on Stevia plants slow growth possibly down to exhausted compost

Comment

• Digging/weeding between rainfalls. the ground is like wet concrete and I know digging it in that state is bad for the soil but I'm so far behind and we've had three weeks of solid rain here (bar one day!) where I haven't been able to do ANYthing on the lottie!

So i set to and cleared a patch about 2m x 2m. And blooming hard work it was too. Rewarded myself by picking loads of rhubarb... stewed rhubarb tonight, rhubarb crumble tomorrow and baked with ice cream on Sunday, and the neighbours had some too. Ahhhh allotments!

Comment

• Not overly taxing day as on nights all weekend so put the first three Toms (Alicante, Sungold and Money Maker) into their Grow Pots and then into the Grow Bag in the greenhouse with some Basil and Marigolds and then put the 'children' out to 'harden off' ready for mid May. Six more toms in various stages of growing up removed from the kitchen (Phew said Mrs Plymouth Red) and put in the greenhouse for their final stations (7 and 14 days respectively)

Also moved some old wood in the 'dropping to bits' shed and found buried behind the wood and a couple of old plastic bags over 50 plant pots of varying sizes so gave them a good clean with a well known cleaner recommended by one of the forum members

Then gave my raised bed and pots their fortnightly spray with the same well known cleaner to keep the vine weeval at bay

All the children now in and yours truly showered and at work!!

Comment

• Took the old bags of chicken cleanings from the coop, bark chippings from their run and old compost from hanging baskets and a strawberry planter up to the plot. Emptied them all out on the patio up there (to the disapproval of Son No2), and mixed it all together with soil I had already taken up from a dismantled raised bed. I then filled my grobeds (from Marshalls seeds) with the mix in the culticave. It looked like an enormous heap, but only just filled 3. I'm going to be planting chillies and tomatoes in there very soon.
                              I also laid down some old decking tiles across the puddles along the communal path leading to my plot. Once the water level drops I can reclaim them.
                              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Counted over 100 bras (sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower & brocc) grown from seed in loo rolls and modules that are stalks left by the slugs. Sob. I'm about to order some plants. Replaced the caulis in a raised bed (also reduced to stalks) and covered with plastic bottle cloches. Yep, I know they don't need them but I'm hoping it will keep the slugs off and replaced the netting. About to go and plant out my sunflowers to cheer me up.
                                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X