Runner bean supports

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Croila View Post
    Jamesy, thank you for this really useful information! Judging quantities is something I find pretty hard so it's great to see what you've written here.

I'd be aiming on having beans about four times a week though, so ... crumbs ... that's a lot of bean plants! More than worth it though
    According to 'the veg expert book' you can expect a 60lb yield from every 30 beans that are sown.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
      Jamesy, thank you for this really useful information! Judging quantities is something I find pretty hard so it's great to see what you've written here.

I'd be aiming on having beans about four times a week though, so ... crumbs ... that's a lot of bean plants! More than worth it though
      Hehe, if you want a bit more info I classed a meal as around 250grams for the 3 of us which was about right and I used (Scarlet Emperor). Theres quite a few nice Runner Bean caserole recipes about as well which is what I used them a lot for.

On the note of this thread and Supports I think I will try the X this year, looks like it might work well for me in my folks garden.
      My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you all for the help. I went with 2 sets of 8ft canes in an A frame. I was slightly to small, so roped in the OH. One frame already has peas on it and the other for runner beans.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
          If you are growing Painted Lady ...? Mixed red/white Flowers.
          Pass a bit like celebration that a tricolour .

I usually have white lady as a white as it defo does set well in hot weather ,for red its used to vary but i found scarlet emperor good but this year im trying scarlet empire which is supposed to be an improvement on emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
            plant some red and some white flowering varieties as red set better in cooler weather and white set better in hotter weather apparently
            Definitely red for me then,cheerio White Emergo.What about bicoloured Painted Lady and Hestia?

This Munty frame is brilliant!
            Last edited by coreopsis; 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Dont forget this: National Beanpole Week 2011National Beanpole Week 2011 calls on gardeners to support Britain’s coppiced woodlands by choosing eco-friendly, locally-grown coppiced beanpoles instead of imported bamboo canes.

Comment

I'm a fan of the arches over the path too. They're high enough for me to walk under without getting caught - much
                Attached Files

Comment

I would love to do something like that. But the demon spawn (a.k.a the chickens) would eat anything they could reach. Yet more reason to finally build them a proper run so I can reclaim my garden. Having to net every plant in the garden is getting a bit tedious.
                  I do Charity Wild food walks. Check out www.msitu.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                    I read about the munty frame from a post zaz did ages ago - planning on making a permenant one by my shed, as at least they'll grow up and then not be in shade! (my shed is on the south side of my plot, grrr - and it's too large to move, proper big sturdy thing).
                    I was going to come on and mention the Munty but Grapes were there already.

I use my munty most years; but this year it's that bed's turn for spuds so I'm using other methods. If I get time, I might make another in a different bed; for more flexibility. They really are the springer's swingers......

This was it with Peas already growing, from the Member's Experiments Pea Trial 2009....it was pure beans last year

Attached Files
                    Last edited by zazen999; 06-04-2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soyo View Post
                      eco-friendly, locally-grown coppiced beanpoles instead of imported bamboo canes.
                      A great idea, but the website needs some tweaking. I typed in my home town and found 7 "local" suppliers.... er, in Devon, Hants and Herts

(there are actually none in my area, sadly, so I shall continue using my boombams: they're good for a few years yet)
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

A couple of pic's taken today.I am now fed up of beans,ive never had so many
                        Attached Files

Comment

They look jolly healthy! I assume you are further south than I am - just getting my first runners up to the point of picking for Sunday Dinner.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Unfortunatly I don't have the room for large supports so have to stick to the old fashioned canes etc. I grow 18 plants, 6 in buckets against a wall, 3 each in two large planters and 6 more in Morrisons pots against a fence. The ones against the fence also are trained along horizontal ropes which allows me to go to an equivalent height of about 12ft. From these 18 plants I usually harvest plus of 100lbs.

Colin
                            Attached Files
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

how do you keep up with the watering

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                                how do you keep up with the watering
                                11/2" gap between the compost and the rim of the container this gets filled everyday.

Colin
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X