No announcement yet.

Runner bean supports

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the 'Munty' frame last year and think it looks like a great idea. was no where near organised enough last year to do it but i'm going to have a go this year. makes great use of space and easy picking!

steve

Comment

I'm growing mine over the path again but with some improvements. Last year I built an upside down V arch with canes on each side of the path so you walked under it and harvested the beans from underneath while stood on the path. Unfortunately the arch was a bit narrow and you had to duck a bit and you got beaten up by beans, bees and ladybirds, which also ended up in your hair. This year, I'm putting the canes in straight as opposed to at an angle and joining them with a bent branch to allow more space. I erected one arch t'other day in the winds to test for stand up-abiility. It was still standing when I left...Ginger - your bean arch is fab.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
        you had to duck a bit and you got beaten up by beans, bees and ladybirds, which also ended up in your hair.
        Noooooo! The prospect of this is absolutely HORRIFYING! I am not going to walk under ANY beans. Not EVER! :0
        Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
        www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

I think the Munty frame is an excellent idea for static bean trenches. It needs a strong structure, and for me that would be too much effort to move each year (my beans move with my rotation)
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
            Noooooo! The prospect of this is absolutely HORRIFYING! I am not going to walk under ANY beans. Not EVER! :0
            lol - It didn't help that my hair is very frizzy. I often find foliage in it. You couldn't help but brush against them, but if your arch was wide and high enough I think you'd be safe

Comment

Originally posted by shadylane View Post
              i often find foliage in it.
              Oh that is brilliant! So funny! Just watch out for birds' nests too
              Last edited by Croila; 04-04-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I read about the munty frame from a post zaz did ages ago - planning on making a permenant one by my shed, as at least they'll grow up and then not be in shade! (my shed is on the south side of my plot, grrr - and it's too large to move, proper big sturdy thing).

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                  lol - It didn't help that my hair is very frizzy. I often find foliage in it. You couldn't help but brush against them, but if your arch was wide and high enough I think you'd be safe
                  I constantly read that as ar*e, and was thinking how would a wide backside be safe? I think I need some more sleep !

Comment

...also how many plants do you lot grow to support your families? i'd be looking to support 2 adults + 2 very young children. Some spare would be good too, provided I get a decent crop!

Comment

I have myself, the wife and our now 14month old. Last year I did 6 plants in total which gave us enough for a meal once a week and on bumper weeks an extra bag for the freezer.

Going on that if it's typical 8-10 plants would do the kids as well and then double that number of plants for every meal you want them for so if you want 2 meals a week 16-20 plants etc.

Regards Jamesy

P.S if your short on space use grow bags, I was dubious but i put my 6 plants in grow bags and they cropped excellently by our kitchen window.
                      Last edited by Jamesy_uk; 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM.
                      My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Jamesy, I've a new allotment, so I plan to plan a load Just don't want to over-do it.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                          Thanks Jamesy, I've a new allotment, so I plan to plan a load Just don't want to over-do it.
                          plant some red and some white flowering varieties as red set better in cooler weather and white set better in hotter weather apparently

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
                            Oh that is brilliant! So funny! Just watch out for birds' nests too
                            Ha, you wouldn't notice

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                            I constantly read that as ar*e, and was thinking how would a wide backside be safe? I think I need some more sleep !
                            *splutterchuckle*

I grew loads last year - must've been about 36 as I have nine canes on each side and I plant 2 per cane.
                            I froze quite a lot, still have some left and I dried a load too for chillies and stews. There's 2 of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                              I have myself, the wife and our now 14month old. Last year I did 6 plants in total which gave us enough for a meal once a week and on bumper weeks an extra bag for the freezer.

Going on that if it's typical 8-10 plants would do the kids as well and then double that number of plants for every meal you want them for so if you want 2 meals a week 16-20 plants etc.

Regards Jamesy

P.S if your short on space use grow bags, I was dubious but i put my 6 plants in grow bags and they cropped excellently by our kitchen window.
                              Jamesy, thank you for this really useful information! Judging quantities is something I find pretty hard so it's great to see what you've written here.

I'd be aiming on having beans about four times a week though, so ... crumbs ... that's a lot of bean plants! More than worth it though

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                                plant some red and some white flowering varieties as red set better in cooler weather and white set better in hotter weather apparently
                                If you are growing Painted Lady ...? Mixed red/white Flowers.
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X