Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newton View Post
    How does lunar planting work?

I found the quote linking it to astrology here......
    I think you'll find it says 'Astronomy'.....not Astrology...

Quote:
    Biodynamic methods are based on the heliocentric, or astronomical, position of the moon.

Comment

Indeed I do but that does not prove anything....but a one line sarcastic response only compounds my current opinion.....
      The same water that is in the seas, that is governed by the moon is in the soil....

Comment

There was an interesting article in one of the magazines recently, the veg tended in line with the lunar schedule seemed to produce better, healthier crops, the biggest difference seemed to be with pests, those planted in the control section were more damaged by pests than those in the lunar section.

I would love to learn more, if anyone who follows the system has a chance to pop up a weekly or monthly schedule of what we should be doing a little in advance, it would be very helpful.

Comment

Newton I appreciate it may be codswallop to some but if you don't agree with it, surely you are best to ignore it/not visit rather than hijack it and insult those who are interested. It isn't for everybody but our ancestors followed the moon phases and I for one would like to reconnect with the earth again. Please!
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

In answer to a schedule if you follow the biodynamic system of sowing, which I am, the next two days are good for sowing Broccoli, Cauliflowers, Globe Artichokes, but it would not be a good time to sow Rooting plants like Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, First Early Potatoes, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Second Early Potatoes, Shallots, Spring onions.

For those who sow to the Synodic system sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits like tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              Newton I appreciate it may be codswallop to some but if you don't agree with it, surely you are best to ignore it/not visit rather than hijack it and insult those who are interested. It isn't for everybody but our ancestors followed the moon phases and I for one would like to reconnect with the earth again. Please!
              I am open to be convinced and my comments are intended to stimulate debate and not to hijack or insult. There may or may not be something in it but healthy open debate will ensure that we can all reach our own conclusions. I will post no more on is thread but lok forward to seeing all the evidence. Without an advocate......devils or otherwise to challenge and question the thread would just be a love in! Which I suppose is ok but not as a sticky!! My original point

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I am open to be convinced and my comments are intended to stimulate debate and not to hijack or insult. There may or may not be something in it but healthy open debate will ensure that we can all reach our own conclusions. I will post no more on is thread but lok forward to seeing all the evidence. Without an advocate......devils or otherwise to challenge and question the thread would just be a love in! Which I suppose is ok but not as a sticky!! My original point
                OK pleased to hear it. I am intrigued as an old boy from the lottie site asked me last full moon if I was sowing my seeds that night. I asked him what he meant as I was nonplussed. He sowed his seeds by moonlight. Truth to tell I thought him a little batty so I came home and did some googling. I am trying it as I am now intrigued. That's all!
                We all do things differently and that makes the world go round.
                My peppers sowed biodynamically are really doing well. So I hope I have a strategy here!

Comment

I visited Ryton Gardens on an open day last year and they now have a biodynamic garden there and they have been amazed at the results. From what I remember it has been there about three years so not long enough to have collected enough evidence that the results are better.

This is my second year sowing and planting biodynamically but it willbe my first full growing season. Last year although I had to buy the plants (it got too late for me to sow my own) I did plant then out on the right moon and where they got massacred the year before I hardly had any problems with them other than picking off a few catepillars, I didn't even bother netting them.

I haven't done anything today (other than taking out a bush) but am planning on sowing some more sweetpeas and caulies tomorrow
                  www.alifelesssimple.wordpress.com Up-dated Regularly

Biodynamic grower in training

Comment

I've done tests myself ALLS - and have got better results from the moon ones...however if I get a day and that's all I've got then it gets sown/planted out....I don't have time to do everything just by the moon.

The results are all on here or on my blog somewhere.....

Comment

Just sown my cauli and PSB seed. Come on moon - do your stuff!

Comment

Here is a link explaining some differnent lunar planting methods and a daily planting guide.

Guide to planting by the moon - The Gardeners Calendar

Is a simpler site somewhere, will add if can find it.

Moon calendar

http://www.new-age.co.uk/moon-dates.htm
                        Last edited by elsie-scot; 14-03-2011, 12:38 PM.
                        Elsie

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                          Just sown my cauli and PSB seed. Come on moon - do your stuff!
                          Well reminded!! I'd forgotten all about PSB in tthis years garden plan
                          www.alifelesssimple.wordpress.com Up-dated Regularly

Biodynamic grower in training

Comment

lol at some of the replies here - funny to read

Great idea for a thread though. I've always wanted to do a trial, no idea if the next phase will be in time or what not, as I don't know a thing about moon planting, but next time around I'll definately try and do a fair test to compare results.

Comment

Originally posted by A Life Less Simple View Post
                              Well reminded!! I'd forgotten all about PSB in tthis years garden plan
                              You are welcome! Cabbage Wednesday for me! PSB all done. Cauli all done too.

Comment

I am giving it a go this year my plan for this month is:
                                fruit toms, peas, broad beans, sweetcorn, courgette and peppers,
                                leaves cabbage, brussels, chinese cabbage and kale on 24th
                                root spuds, onions, garlic and celeriac from 9am on the 28th and 29th
                                My allotment http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...allotment.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X