No announcement yet.

Lunar Planting - what have you sown today

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put supports in for peas and broad beans today and took off their cloches. Two more gutters of pea seedlings gone in with cloches over. Potash around the raspberry canes and redcurrants. Some weeding in between rows.
    Painted half of the outside of my lovely greenhouse which is done in "clay" colour - looks beautiful! As I type OH is sanding the other half, lit by the quarter moon. I want the warm weather tomorrow so I can get it finished.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
      Right, I want to give this a go.. just about to go and sow some more seeds now, but I'm still confused. The three systems all contradict each other? Why is that? What's the majority of the one followed?
      Hi CM I am following the biodynamic cycle which is based on the moon's passage through the zodiac cycle. It means in essence that you get a root sowing for several days, a flowering sowing for several day, then a leaf, fruit and back round (not necessarily in that order. The synodic follows the four phase cycle so one week of roots, one leaf/flowering, one fruit then a maintenance/non sowing week. I haven't got my head around sidereal yet so can't help you on that. Maybe somebody on here can. I am trialling one system this year and next year intend to follow synodic. I am keeping a diary and intend to gauge the results after two full years. I have last year's diary but the results I am seeing in terms of increased germination/stronger plants this year make me think there is more to this than meets the eye. I am doing nothing else different from usual and yet I am having a better year so far. Fingers crossed. Oh and I am potting on, planting out on the relevant days so for example I have planted my pea seedlings today which were sown on a fruiting day two weeks ago and are now planted out under cloches, again on a fruit day. So for example if you chose synodic you could sow one month, pot on or plant out the next month. Does this make sense? PM me if you want more and I'll try to help you. I intend to prepare biodynamic feeds/manures next year as was too late this year.
      Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 07-04-2011, 08:43 PM.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
        Where are you lot sowing all these tender crops - indoors? Under glass, bringing in at night time?
        What do you mean by tender crops? Cukes, toms, etc? I sow everything in modules and use a greenhouse and two coldframes. I kept my peppers, toms and cukes indoors for germination; after that they are thrown straight into greenhouse. Everything else gets sown in there. Taters, carrots, parsnips, turnips have or will be sown direct.

Comment

• Lunar Planting Schedule Reminder 8th April 2011

Biodynamic - Moon in Taurus/Earth sign - sow Root plants like Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kohl Rabi, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Second Early Potatoes, Shallots, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips.

Synodic - Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now.

Comment

• Hi CM, I'm lucky to have a south facing conservatory taken over with my trays of seedlings etc. Courgettes,cues,toms,peppers, Brussel Sp,broccoli for every part of the year, cabbage.........etc. I also use a mini plastic "greenhouse" from wilkinsons for the more hardy. At present everything standing on patio until about 6pm then most of it goes back inside. I have planted out my Broad beans and peas. Neighbour on plot has planted out courgettes and sweetcorn !!!!!. Our weather usually very mild ( I'm having a break from the hot sun at present) but that's pushing it

Comment

• Been away for a while (not on holiday just not had much time for computers...) but have planted out garlic (started in pots) on the plot yesterday, during the week I have sorted out all straws, rasberries and currants in tubes with fresh compost and well rotted manure ready for fruiting and this evening have sown more leeks, beetroot, swede and potatoes. Earthed up the potatoes at home in sacks which have started to come through.

Everything seems to be all go now with everything shooting through and up
              www.alifelesssimple.wordpress.com Up-dated Regularly

Biodynamic grower in training

Comment

• I quite agree ALLS - everything burgeoning!
                No sowing for me today - too busy finishing off my painting of the greenhouse.

REMINDER FOR TOMORROW

Same as today

Comment

• Day off for me, give my back a rest before digging more potato trenches and preparing some form of cover for my brassicas

Comment

• Me too until I decided to paint the greenhouse and now my bad back is made worse.

Comment

• tender, as in susceptible to frosts (pumpkins, etc etc) - my greenhouse hasn't gone down to 4C for a while now.. but I don't have any fleece so not sure I want to risk putting anything out there yet.

Comment

• Spent the day tilling and preparing soil at the allotment. I'm gutted to have missed the earth cycle yesterday, so now need to wait another week before planting my onions, shallotts, potatoes, beans, and peas! I think i'll plant garlic out though today or tommorrow as both are air signs and great for flowering plants, garlic does flower so I should be ok; I'll risk smaller bulbs this year. Last year I planted them on a earth day too and they were lovely. Also if we get a cold snap the garlic will still do well
                        Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

• REMINDER FOR TOMORROW

Synodic - sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic - Moon in Gemini/Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Angelica, Borage, Broccoli, Caraway, Cauliflowers, Globe Artichokes, etc.

Comment

• Tomorrow's Reminder 11th April 2011 Lunar Planting Schedule

First Quarter Moon

Synodic-sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes, etc.

Biodynamic-Moon in Cancer/Water sign. It is a good time to sow Leaf plants like Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Dill, Kale, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Salad Leaves, Seakale, Spinach, Swiss Chard, etc.

Comment

• I potted on celeriac, lettuce and planted lambs lettuce into coldframe. Also sowed lemon basil.

Comment

• Lunar Planting reminder 13th April 2011

Same as for 12th.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X